Do I need a steering stabilizer?

Lxxtsy

JK Enthusiast
Stock SS is leaking and wondering if I need a steering stabilizer? Jeep has 60k on the clock and running 315's. Read all kinds of feed backs on different jeep forums and found this interesting article from Motor trend on SS. Guess one way to find out is to take it off and see what happens lol

Screenshot_20221003-124215_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The stabilizer allows you to relax a little more when on the highway. It increases the "reliability" of steering effects by dampening the wheels' response to paving irregularities. If you hit a pothole for instance, you'll often feel the steering wheel push left or right depending on how the hole affects the wheel that contacts it. That is transferred backward from the road to the steering wheel and you through the drag link or tie rod, depending on what the stabilizer is tied to. You can certainly operate without one. My old 1960 Ford F100 didn't have one and it steered just fine. There was no power steering though, and you could find yourself wrestling the wheel on a rough road or ground to keep a line.

I decided to pull the old one off and take a look, it has zero rebound, lol not sure how long that could have been going on. Drove around town without it and have no issues. Will put down more miles and see how it goes.

I decided to pull the old one off and take a look, it has zero rebound, lol not sure how long that could have been going on. Drove around town without it and have no issues. Will put down more miles and see how it goes.
WIth no recovery it sounds like you were essentially driving without a stabilizer anyway.