Do I need a heavy duty spare tire carrier with 35s?

BP Mark

I'm putting 35s on my 15 JK with a 17" x 9' wheel. This my daily driver so I'm wondering if I even need a heavy duty spare tire carrier. If so please give suggestions that are reasonable in price. The only option that was given at my 4 wheel parts store was $500 installed.

Thanks

For a 35" i would recommend it. You already would need to have HD hinges to be safe and they run at $150 already... check out this one (Smittybilt 2843 Pivot HD Tire Carrier Jeep Wrangler) , it's under $400 and pretty simple to install yourself.

For 35s you'd be stupid not to have a heavy duty tire carrier, yes.

The only two I'd ever run would be the AEV tire carrier or the TeraFlex kit.

Actually, I believe Mopar makes one as well that's suppose to be pretty good. That's not to say there aren't others as well, those are just the ones I would run.

But yes, you definitely need one.

Thanks for that info, I am about to run into the same issue.
I will need a heavy duty spare mount for 35's, as well as rims to replace my stock rims.
Unfortunately, It will wait in the barn for a couple of months while I build up more cash.

Reactions: mrjp
So, just bought a 2012 JKU and it's lifted with 35's...any info on how I would tell whether or not I have HD set up?

Has any one deleted the spare tire carrier and placed the spare in the back of the jeep?
Of course it would need to be strapped down. That would make me wonder if the four tie downs would be up to the task.

P1010085.JPG

If you don't need the space in the trunk then it'll work, 1 ratchet strap would hold it.

That's good to hear!
I don't need the extra space, and I may build a box to cover it.
What do you think of the strength of the tie down rings?

D rings are good as long as bolts are used and not screws.

You might even be able to strap it to the rear part of the roll bar with the tire standing up. I would do it on the passenger side.

Reactions: mrjp