Differential Leak

Spencer.mort

Wrangler forum, it’s my first post and I’m looking for some insight and any ideas on what’s going on with my rear diff. It has a very slow leak at three small circular weld spots outside the diff cover. Each leak has never leaked enough to drip, but what is shown on the pictures has developed over two weeks or so. The leaks were present before I upgraded to the ARB cover. Any thoughts on what has cause the problem or how to fix it? Thanks
8E5EECA0-DA02-4E8E-8F50-BA4904828C52.jpeg

33F64BA0-5B5C-4B6E-B09B-33C0EED6BD01.jpeg

276AA053-454A-4C3A-A4FF-019591F6E12A.jpeg

That's just the plug weld spots that hold the axle tubes in the center section. Doesn't really look like a leak maybe just some seepage, spray it down good with some brake cleaner and watch to see if it leaks.

Also you might check your axle breather to make sure it isn't plugged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and mrjp
Looks clean compared to mine, I get sweat drips at the the base of my axels. Yet, after a fluid change, I could not tell if the volume had changed after 50K.

That's just the plug weld spots that hold the axle tubes in the center section. Doesn't really look like a leak maybe just some seepage, spray it down good with some brake cleaner and watch to see if it leaks.

Also you might check your axle breather to make sure it isn't plugged.

X2, this is what I was thinking as well.