Detroit locker in the front?

Claymore

I am researching lift kits, gear changes, and tire sizes, for my 2018 Oscar Mike JK.
It has a 3.6, and according to the build sheet it has a 5 speed automatic transmission.
The build sheet also lists 3.21 gear ratios, and a limited slip rear end.
The vin lists it with an optional 3.73 axle ratio. Either way, it will be changed.
I am looking into a 4.56 Detroit locker for the rear.
What do you think about a detroit locker in the front?
that will be the first step toward bigger tires etc...
By the way, the Jeep is still at the dealership getting new top seals installed. I haven't taken any pictures of it yet. It is supposed to be done tomorrow, I will post pictures then.
Any information will be appreciated.
Thank you

Have you done any research on doing this I heard you can't put lockers on a Jeep with a auto trans because it will through the Jeep into Limp mode.

Reactions: Vman
This is the beginning of my research.
I don't know anything about jeeps newer than my CJ5.
I was assuming that it could be done on a Jeep because I have a detroit locker in the rear of my H3.
It is a 2007 and may not be as sophisticated as a 2018 JK.
I will definitely add that to the list of questions as it is definitely a game changer!
Thanks for the info.

This is the beginning of my research.
I don't know anything about jeeps newer than my CJ5.
I was assuming that it could be done on a Jeep because I have a detroit locker in the rear of my H3.
It is a 2007 and may not be as sophisticated as a 2018 JK.
I will definitely add that to the list of questions as it is definitely a game changer!
Thanks for the info.

You can go with a selectable locker (electric or air), or a limited slip type (clutch or torsen type).

There are a number of posts that list the gear ratios for 3.8/3.6 auto/manual for the various tire sizes.

I decided on the 4.56 using the chart listed in this forum. It was very helpful.
I may just upgrade to the higher ratio and not do a locker on the front at all. There aren't many rock walls in Mi. any way.
I was kind of surprised at the labor costs for all of the upgrades. I am looking at doing it in stages, beginning with the taller gears.
I also decided on 33's, and a 4" lift.

I decided on the 4.56 using the chart listed in this forum. It was very helpful.
I may just upgrade to the higher ratio and not do a locker on the front at all. There aren't many rock walls in Mi. any way.
I was kind of surprised at the labor costs for all of the upgrades. I am looking at doing it in stages, beginning with the taller gears.

33's are only about a inch taller then the stock tires, are you sure you looked at the chart correctly?

Why a 4" lift on 33's?

Is this just going to be a trail rig or are you planning on daily driving it?

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I guess the 4" lift is more for looks than function. and I did say 33's but I was thinking 35's.
I just realized that I hit Post reply twice.
I am going to look at more examples of wranglers, and decide what looks best with what accessories. Then take it out and see what it takes to get it stuck. It's probably a lot more capable than the worn out jeep I had back in the day.
After some experience on the trails I will reevaluate the plan.
Thank you for bringing up questions I had not thought of.

I guess the 4" lift is more for looks than function. and I did say 33's but I was thinking 35's.
I am going to look at more examples of wranglers, and decide what looks best with what accessories. Then take it out and see what it takes to get it stuck. It's probably a lot more capable than the worn out jeep I had back in the day.

Once you go over a 3" lift you're looking at a giant laundry list of parts you'll need.

For 35's all you really need is 2-2.5" lift and some aftermarket fenders.

Reactions: BLACKJKU

Also you'll need to recalibrate your speedometer when changing tire sizes.

Things have definitely changed. But I do like the advantages that come with it.
Electronic ignition, fuel injection, and disc brakes, just to name a few.
Remember warming up your jeep just to keep it from stalling as you put it in gear? And the little spots of defrosted windshield where the heat hit it? And the brittle soft top that flapped and leaked as you went above 40 mph?
Yes, the new technology is much better!
I am looking forward to 4wheeling in comfort with my Jeep this Winter!

Reactions: mrjp
Things have definitely changed. But I do like the advantages that come with it.
Electronic ignition, fuel injection, and disc brakes, just to name a few.
Remember warming up your jeep just to keep it from stalling as you put it in gear? And the little spots of defrosted windshield where the heat hit it? And the brittle soft top that flapped and leaked as you went above 40 mph?
Yes, the new technology is much better!
I am looking forward to 4wheeling in comfort with my Jeep this Winter!