Death wobble

Ang Ragin Cajin

I have the death wobble and a company is saying it is all 4 tie rods, drive shaft, and something with my axel. They want $1600 to fix it but it is a 2017 JK with only 31,000 mile. I dont take it 4 wheeling and I dont drive far.

I have the death wobble and a company is saying it is all 4 tie rods, drive shaft, and something with my axel. They want $1600 to fix it but it is a 2017 JK with only 31,000 mile. I dont take it 4 wheeling and I dont drive far.

I would take it somewhere else to get a 2nd opinion, with that many miles those parts shouldn't be worn out.

thank you so much that is what i thought too

Any idea what the "something with the axel" was?

Stock'ish aftermarket drag link, tie rod and track bar you can get for around $500 from places like Quadratec or Extreme Terrain. What I mean by that is basically OEM parts made by Crown and others that make OEM style replacement parts.

I think a good set of ball joints you can get for $200 or less.

So sounds like you're in the ballpark of $700 + labor.

Sounds like they just want to use the parts shotgun method of replacing everything which may or may not be needed.

You definitely want a second opinion. All four "tie rods?" You might want to read up on the suspension and steering anatomy of your vehicle. All the same, has there been any modifications made to the suspension? A lift possibly? The usual cause is that some element is loose, worn, or broken. The chief thing is that some part of your front steering and suspension arrangement is loose. It can be one or more parts. This page has a good diagram of the anatomy of the steering and suspension components: https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-death-wobble.html. There is a lot of other information out there.