Dashcams and Dipshit Drivers

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
I've been fortunate enough during my life to have traveled over much of the country and I have driven in virtually every state except Minnesota and North Dakota. I've lived in California (my home state), Maine, Virginia, North Carolina; and while on assignment in the Navy spent several months in Mississippi, Florida and Rhode Island.

However, I can unequivocally state for the record, my current home of North Carolina has the absolute worst drivers I've encountered anywhere in the country. From having no idea the little lever on the left side of the steering column actually causes a light to blink known as a turn signal; right turn on red or a stop sign here doesn't mean you really have to stop; changing lanes as long as you think your car will fit is all that matters, screw everyone else; and, my all-time favorite, the left lane is no different than the right lane and if you want to drive 45 on the interstate, well, go around...

So, I've been toying with the idea of a dashcam, if for no other reason than to launch my foray into social media (this forum is the closes thing to social media as I get) and start posting the daily dopes I encounter on the road.
Dashcam recommendations and/or experiences? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Office Jeep.jpg

Leaving in SoCal I knew I needed one.
I bought that One and I'm really happy with it. Cheap, less than an hour install if you want to run the wires clean, or 5 minutes if you dont care.

Everything you need is in it.
We have the same one. Back up camera was a must with bigger tires, but the front camera works great too. Well worth the money, and as stated above, is easy and quick to install.

Here in Muskoka it is called Florida of the North now. No point having a dash cam, just defensive drive, take my time. I am called a youngin, and I am 60, for God sakes.

Reactions: AUBoggs
I have an Android stereo, and one of the accessories was a dashcam. I finally install the dash cam probably in June or July, and was really straightforward. In today's Era of Distracted Driving, I view these cameras as additional insurance.

It can double as a poor man's GoPro for trail rides, too.

Not idiots. Just not skilled, and do not have the comprehension of physics, and reality of life for your neighboring man. That being said, I will take a mounted Browning on my JK.

What are the solutions for having 4 cams Front, Rear, Left & Right? With the ability to record.
Gah. Not sure. I figure if someone rear ends me, 99% of the time is going to be their fault (my wife fell in to that 1% once - don't ask) and the front camera is wide angle enough it would catch side action prior to impact unless I'm going forward <4mph

Reactions: mrjp
The way people drive these days temps me to buy and old beat up bodied car of some sort and then Let them crowd me and see how they suddenly start paying attention.

The way people drive these days temps me to buy and old beat up bodied car of some sort and then Let them crowd me and see how they suddenly start paying attention.
I will say, once I put a beefy bull bar on the front of my Jeep, asshats and Karen's seem less likely to pull out in front of me.