Dashboard Panel Lights Intermittently Illuminating

Story

My 2014 Wrangler intermittently experiences the Dashboard panel lights all going on and within a few seconds going off. Also, at the same time the speedometer goes back and forth between 0 and my current speed. All of this has no impact on the Jeep operating.

Thank you,
Bill S.

Back in the old days, I'd say that sounds like symptoms of a failing voltage regulator/alternator, but today's computer should probably be throwing a code if that's the case.
Older jeeps are notorious for a bad ground in the dash. Who knows, maybe the same is true on the JK.
Maybe pull the dash open and check connections on all of the harnesses that you can find.

Back in the old days, I'd say that sounds like symptoms of a failing voltage regulator/alternator, but today's computer should probably be throwing a code if that's the case.
Older jeeps are notorious for a bad ground in the dash. Who knows, maybe the same is true on the JK.
Maybe pull the dash open and check connections on all of the harnesses that you can find.
Thank you

My 2014 Wrangler intermittently experiences the Dashboard panel lights all going on and within a few seconds going off. Also, at the same time the speedometer goes back and forth between 0 and my current speed. All of this has no impact on the Jeep operating.

Thank you,
Bill S.
Bill, my 2014 JKU recently developed similar concerns...while driving on cruise control, all of a sudden, cruise disengages, ABS and Parking brake LEDS flash for about 2 seconds and speedo floats between 0 mph and current speed for same timeframe. Car continues to run without concern, although without CC engaged. This will repeat itself occasionally at random timeframes. What did you learn from your experinces?

I'll bet $1 that it is related to a poor ground connection on the battery. This caused all kinds of intermittent paranormal activity in our dash until it was diagnosed/fixed.

Reactions: BigAL07
Also I found out the CC doesn't work if the ABS doesn't work, usually the ABS problem is just a wheel speed sensor. You might try to see if there is a Code.

It could be something as simple as a wheels speed wire with a bad connection.

Reactions: BigAL07
West Coast Dan, BlackJKU thank you for the responses given. Both will be investiagted. Is there a well rated after-market battery connector that can be used to replace the factory provided battery connections?

Reactions: Dirty Dog
IMO, nearly ANY new terminal clamp would be better than the factory version.
I didn’t replace mine yet, I just disassembled it and bent the little “fingers” a bit to increase the clamping force when the cone-but is tightened.

Even this would be an improvement over the factory part
Capture.JPG

• Haha