Dana 44 open diff to TruLok

kevman

I have a 2009 jeep jk
Unlimited 4x4 RHD with 4.10 dana 44 open rear and need a new rear axle.
I found a RHD dana 44 with 4.10 gear but it's a tru lock. Can I interchange it being my jeep don't have any push button controls to make the posi kick in or do I simply add the optional push button to lock it in or whatever makes it kick in since my jeep don't have one?
Or can I just swap it and not worry with the tru lock option?
I really need to know if they'll interchange since they virtually look the same and have the same gear ratio and will be a direct bolt in. As my only difference is my jeep has an open differential and the one I found has a posi. The reason I ask this is the only rears I can find like mine are all tru lock

I think to offer any real advice, you need to provide more information.
What do you mean by "need a new rear axle"? What's actually broken? The axle? The axle tube? The ring gear? The differential?

As long as the gear ratios are the same, it should bolt right in.
But you do need to figure out what it actually is. You've called it a locker and a posi. They're not the same thing.

As long as the gear ratios are the same, it should bolt right in.
But you do need to figure out what it actually is. You've called it a locker and a posi. They're not the same thing.
They are pretty much the same.
My old one is an open and doesn't have the option.
The one I found came out of a Rubicon or so told and has the tru loc

They are pretty much the same.
If they're the same, then one of my grandkids finger paintings is the same as a Rembrandt. Want to buy one?

A differential allows the wheels on an axle to spin at different rates. This is necessary to avoid tire scrubbing when going around corners.
With an open differential, if one wheel spins in a low traction situation, 100% of the available power goes to the wheel that is spinning. This is considered a Bad Thing (tm) in low traction situations.
A limited slip differential (posi is an abbreviation of positrack, a brand name specific to a GM version of the LSD) is a device that uses the friction from a clutch pack to send about 25% of the available power to the wheel that has traction. This requires no operator action; it is entirely automatic.
A locker provides a mechanical connection between the two sides of the differential, sending full power to both wheels. It may be automatic or selectable.

They do completely different things in completely different ways. Not the same thing at all.

If they're the same, then one of my grandkids finger paintings is the same as a Rembrandt. Want to buy one?

A differential allows the wheels on an axle to spin at different rates. This is necessary to avoid tire scrubbing when going around corners.
With an open differential, if one wheel spins in a low traction situation, 100% of the available power goes to the wheel that is spinning. This is considered a Bad Thing (tm) in low traction situations.
A limited slip differential (posi is an abbreviation of positrack, a brand name specific to a GM version of the LSD) is a device that uses the friction from a clutch pack to send about 25% of the available power to the wheel that has traction. This requires no operator action; it is entirely automatic.
A locker provides a mechanical connection between the two sides of the differential, sending full power to both wheels. It may be automatic or selectable.

They do completely different things in completely different ways. Not the same thing at all.
I think of it in simple terms like this:

Open: Torque is equal
Locker: Speed is equal
LSD: Somewhat in between the two, depending on the type

I would also like to know the answer to the question posed by the OP. Can a Rubicon assembly be installed in a non-Rubicon and have the locker simply triggered by a switch?