CV Joint replacement Questuon

Dudeman

Hi all,

I’m new to the group, but have been using the forum for advise and suggestions for some time. I have recently been trying to complete more maintenance on my vehicle, and would say I’m amateur at best. My question to the group is “CV joint replacement” DIY or shop maintenance? From what I’ve read and seen it looks pretty straight forward, but I know there are always hidden hang ups. I’m looking at the Teraflex Rzeppa high angle factory replacement cv kit. And suggestions will be appreciated.

2012 Jk

I don’t have any experience on this as it hasn’t come up for me. I assume you are referring the CV joint on the driveshaft. Seems like a lot of people say rather then repair it to just replace it with an aftermarket driveshaft with conventional u-joints. I am not sure what the cost difference is.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I agree a drive shaft swap would be idea, but future modifications include replacing the lift (it was on the Jeep when I pursuit) and adding a long arm suspension. The CV joint replacement runs about 184.99. Cheep fix till I figure out my future plans.

Reactions: mrjp
The Adam’s driveshaft is good for lifts up to 4 inches. I ordered the Terra Flex Rzeppa joint and after looking it over, sent it back and ordered an Adam’s driveshaft.

If you order them from Northridge 4x4, you can use PayPal to spread out the payments. You can also buy one driveshaft at a time.

I’ve had two Rzeppa driveshafts fail. One in a Grand Cherokee and one in a Wrangler. My brother had one go out on his Wrangler. It started vibrating and clunking. He tried a Terra Flex joint, but the problem remained. The problem didn’t go away until he installed the Adam’s driveshaft. In my experience, the factory driveshaft isn’t worth wasting money on.

There are other quality driveshafts available, but I only have first hand experience with the Adam’s. I’ve put close to 10,000 miles on the driveshafts since they were installed in February, on and off road and they’ve been trouble free.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp