Cracked Block 2018 Jeep wrangler JK

Jason Lennon

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon. It has had all oil changes and 100,000 mile work done by dealership. It has 104,XXX miles on it. It now has a cracked block and has to have engine replaced! I reached out to warranty company that was a 3rd party and their warranty ended at 100k. They are not willing to help out. New engine installed at dealership is about $12K.
I called Chrysler just now and the lady at the call center said that I didn't meet the requirements for the "good faith" assistance. I'm hoping someone here has a better resource or idea to help me out. I think its crazy that a 2018 Wrangler with just over 100k miles has a cracked block. This Jeep has never been off roading or any crazy anything. It's my wifes jeep and has been well maintained. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You don't say what caused the block to crack, so there's not much to be said there.
Beyond that, stop going to the Stealership. They're absolutely going to be the most expensive place to get work done.

Reactions: tJKrider
The dealership didn't say what caused the block to crack. Im assuming overheating is the cause. I am the only owner of this Jeep and haven't had any issues with it until the dealership did the 100,000 mile work on it. It did overheat and i pulled over right away. But with the aluminum maybe that was enough. The dealership replaced the thermostat 2000 miles before this happened.

They didn't show me the crack... but when i started the Jeep it had blue-ish smoke barreling out the exhaust. I had it towed to dealership to have it looked at. They initially said it was a warped head. But then when they pulled it apart he said it was a cracked block and needed to be replaced.

They didn't show me the crack... but when i started the Jeep it had blue-ish smoke barreling out the exhaust. I had it towed to dealership to have it looked at. They initially said it was a warped head. But then when they pulled it apart he said it was a cracked block and needed to be replaced.

So it's still tore apart at the Dealership?

Yes, still tore apart there. I just received the news that the warranty wont cover it yesterday, after my Jeep sat there for 2 months. Then I called Chrysler.....but that didn't do much. I will call again today and see if i can get anywhere.

Yes, still tore apart there. I just received the news that the warranty wont cover it yesterday, after my Jeep sat there for 2 months. Then I called Chrysler.....but that didn't do much. I will call again today and see if i can get anywhere.

If it was mine i'd be getting it out of there and bring it home, make sure you have all the parts.

If it was mine i'd be getting it out of there and bring it home, make sure you have all the parts.
Yeah thats a good plan. I should have done work myself. Its my first new car and first Wrangler. I thought going through dealership would make it to where if there were any issues then they would be covered.... I was wrong :( But i guess you live and learn.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Yeah thats a good plan. I should have done work myself. Its my first new car and first Wrangler. I thought going through dealership would make it to where if there were any issues then they would be covered.... I was wrong :( But i guess you live and learn.

If you do see it's really cracked and you can do the work yourself you'll save alot of money over the Dealer doing it. For one thing the Dealer will charge almost double for another engine over what you could could get one.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
If you do see it's really cracked and you can do the work yourself you'll save alot of money over the Dealer doing it. For one thing the Dealer will charge almost double for another engine over what you could could get one.
Good plan, I appreciate it. Nice to talk to others and see what they think. Instead of everything just in my crazy head :) This is the first time i have ever posted on a forum. I really appreciate the guidance.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Good plan, I appreciate it. Nice to talk to others and see what they think. Instead of everything just in my crazy head :) This is the first time i have ever posted on a forum. I really appreciate the guidance.

You did better then some for the first time.

@Dirty Dog just replaced a engine not long ago he'll help you also.

Reactions: Jason Lennon
I spent about $5000 swapping the 3.8L in Jeepers for Mrs. Dog. Could have done it a whole lot cheaper, but I got an engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and replaced some things that didn't technically have to be replaced. For example, I replaced the water pump, because it's a whole lot easier with the engine out, and swapped the exhaust manifolds for some shorty headers.
The $12,000 the OP was quoted seems absurd.

I spent about $5000 swapping the 3.8L in Jeepers for Mrs. Dog. Could have done it a whole lot cheaper, but I got an engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and replaced some things that didn't technically have to be replaced. For example, I replaced the water pump, because it's a whole lot easier with the engine out, and swapped the exhaust manifolds for some shorty headers.
The $12,000 the OP was quoted seems absurd.
I’m good with 5k. 12k is a little insane. I found a used engine with low miles out at local junkyard for around 2k. Have 3 year warranty… not sure about miles though. I will look into it some more and get the project started. :)

I’m good with 5k. 12k is a little insane. I found a used engine with low miles out at local junkyard for around 2k. Have 3 year warranty… not sure about miles though. I will look into it some more and get the project started. :)
I assume that's a long block. Not a bad price. You'll want to pull it apart and inspect all the little wear bits. I'd just replace all the seals and gaskets at that time, and if things like the main bearings show any wear, replace those too.

Reactions: tJKrider
Look at the reman long blocks. You won't need a 100% complete engine. Not sure what exactly is in the quote the dealer provided... The crack is probably on the head deck at one of the coolant passages and it's leaking internally into the combustion chamber. You may not actually see coolant on the ground. Many times you won't unless you have a catastrophic failure like rod bearing, etc that sends a rod thru the block casting. This also means that many of your existing components can be reused if you choose to do so.

I assume that's a long block. Not a bad price. You'll want to pull it apart and inspect all the little wear bits. I'd just replace all the seals and gaskets at that time, and if things like the main bearings show any wear, replace those too.
Good advice. I will pull it apart and check everything and replace seals. I will update as I truck along with this one. I will bring in someone to help with more experience. I have basic mechanical skills.

Look at the reman long blocks. You won't need a 100% complete engine. Not sure what exactly is in the quote the dealer provided... The crack is probably on the head deck at one of the coolant passages and it's leaking internally into the combustion chamber. You may not actually see coolant on the ground. Many times you won't unless you have a catastrophic failure like rod bearing, etc that sends a rod thru the block casting. This also means that many of your existing components can be reused if you choose to do so.
I hope to be able to reuse a lot of the existing parts. The dealer really didn’t say much but 12k for new engine and install. But then I got mad and kinda just hung up. 😂 I’m going to dealer tomorrow to talk with them and if no good outcome… I will have it towed home.

I hope to be able to reuse a lot of the existing parts. The dealer really didn’t say much but 12k for new engine and install. But then I got mad and kinda just hung up. 😂 I’m going to dealer tomorrow to talk with them and if no good outcome… I will have it towed home.

I'm sure you'll find out to just stay away from the Dealers, just let them sell cars not work on them.