Correct paint codes? (or close)

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm getting my bumpers, fenders, trim and hard top repainted at a local autobody shop.

Does anyone know the proper professional paint codes for these items? And what type of paint to use?

I know it's not a gloss. But it's not flat either. I also know the plastic is a molded color. So I guess I'm asking what paint will produce the most likely match?

Everything has long since lost its original color. So there is nothing to match it to either. I would like it to be maybe slightly darker. As I know it's going to fade again.

Man. Nobody wants to do this. I went to three places. Only one wants to try. Which is cool. Cause they are the cheapest place. Or the smallest.

They want to use SEM Trim Coat. Which I guess is good.

Man. Nobody wants to do this. I went to three places. Only one wants to try. Which is cool. Cause they are the cheapest place. Or the smallest.

They want to use SEM Trim Coat. Which I guess is good.
I was going to ask if your trim was painted but I see they're looking to do a black trim paint. I personally have not used SEM products. Are your plastics faded?

I was going to ask if your trim was painted but I see they're looking to do a black trim paint. I personally have not used SEM products. Are your plastics faded?
Yes. Faded.

SEM is considered the best for rattle can. SEM Landau Black matches TJs plastic perfectly. Alot of discussion of that on the other forum for years. Professionally I think SEM is top tier too. This place would be spraying it with a gun.

Yes. Faded.

SEM is considered the best for rattle can. SEM Landau Black matches TJs plastic perfectly. Alot of discussion of that on the other forum for years. Professionally I think SEM is top tier too. This place would be spraying it with a gun.
Gotcha. I've used Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black on my WJ before.

Gotcha. I've used Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black on my WJ before.
SEM has an an adhesion promotor too. You spray it down before paint. Eastwood I've heard nothing but great things about.

Hopefully these guys estimate won't be crazy. Tiny little shop. Been around for decades.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I just don't want to deal with doing it myself this time. It's a lot. Top and roof rack have to come off. And fenders and bumpers. And my shop is a wreck. Hopefully I can afford it.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I just don't want to deal with doing it myself this time. It's a lot. Top and roof rack have to come off. And fenders and bumpers. And my shop is a wreck. Hopefully I can afford it.
Hopefully they can hook ya up! Definitely post some before and after pics too!

Edit to say, just seen your post saying you didn’t want to do it…ignore me. :ROFLMAO:

I have used SEM stuff 2 times, both on TJ projects, it worked well. As with any paint job it’s all about the prep work. If you are going to use SEM products, there is no reason you couldn’t do this yourself. Dig around their site and YouTube.

https://semproducts.com/resources/literature

There are many more forum threads and videos out there, dig around and see what you think.

I've used SEM on a ton a stuff. I did everything on my TJ with it. It's great paint.

If it was just the fenders I would just do it myself. But I'd need to take the hard top off. Lay it up on something. And plastic sheet my garage for over spray. And take the Rhino roof rack off. Which is screwed into the hard top. Bumpers and fenders. The prep alone would be alot.

I already did the prep once on all the trim. Fenders, bumpers, mirrors, roof clamps, tail light guards, and every other piece of rubber or plastic. I used a product by Shine Supply. Trim paint. Like a dye and oaint. And it took really well to everything.

Except the fenders and bumpers. My prep was obviously good. As it's still holding 6+ months later on the mirrors and everything else. But the fenders flaked off almost immediately. And the bumpers scuff really easily.

I had a similar problem with TJ flares. These paint guys said it has something to do with the plastic. The color is injected into the plastic itself. As is something that makes it not like paint. But I have read hundreds of others who painted their flares and fenders.

But that's why I want a professional to do it this time. And because the big things have to come off and go back on. The hardtop and roof rack. I'm done with Jeep plastic. Lol.