Cooling fan issues with my 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Mango Tango

My cooling fan won't come on even when the temperature gauge is at the midpoint. If I disconnect the temperature sending unit the fan will come on but I also get a throttle body warning light. If I reconnect the sending unit the fan stays on but when I turn the jeep off and turn it back on I have the same problem the fan won't come on but the warning light does go away. I replaced the relay in the fuse box and I've put a new relay by the driver's side headlight but neither of those things helped. Does the temperature sending unit serve additional purposes other than just the temperature reading could that be my problem.

I haven't had to deal with temp sensors in a while. For the cost, I'd probably just replace it.

You could test it with an ohm meter and a bucket of hot water and cold water and see if it changes, but I don't know the scale. Sorry I can't suggest anything definite.

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
I think i'd replace the temp sender also just make sure it's a OEM sender. I do remember someone else had a issue with the sender and when they replaced it the problem was fixed.

Thanks, seems like a logical next step. I had put a failsafe thermostat in and it may be stuck open again also. When I get this fixed we can talk about the wiring harness connection on the firewall the dealer said the would have to cut out and splice together. They wanted $1,200 to do it not gonna happen.

Reactions: mrjp