Control arm spacer solution

BurgieJKU

I have a '08 JKU with Rough Country adjustable control arms. The rear uppers have too much space (2 3/8") at the bracket for the arm & bushing (1 7/8"). 1st set the bushings slipped out. I need to fill this gap or come up with another solution. Rough Country knows of the problem but doesn't sell anything to solve it. Suggestions?

I have a '08 JKU with Rough Country adjustable control arms. The rear uppers have too much space (2 3/8") at the bracket for the arm & bushing (1 7/8"). 1st set the bushings slipped out. I need to fill this gap or come up with another solution. Rough Country knows of the problem but doesn't sell anything to solve it. Suggestions?

Any chance you can post a picture of what your talking about might be easier to help you?

Here's what my current bushings look like.

20231219_113240.jpg

Wow. Looks like the bushing walked itself out of the sleeve. I’ve seen small amounts of that but never to that extreme.
Two solutions. Replace the bushings or whole arms with new bushings. I went the route of replacing the bushings to save a bit of $. Was it worth it, ehh, maybe.
Went with Synergy since that’s what I have but just a couple measurements and they should have what you need.
Synergy Bushings

A harbor freight ball joint kit and some patience you can swap them out quickly.

I called Rough Country and of course they are out of warranty, so I ordered new bushings, the same ones to replace/rebuild. They will do it again if I don't fill the space. I've searched all over the net for washers that'll work, I just need alternative ideas. I'll check Synergy, thanks!

If it was me I would look for 1/4 or 3/8 bar stock (depending on the gap) cut to length and drill your hole.

Reactions: BigAL07
Solution:
I reordered the bushings from Rough Country, received them, took the control arm off, went to put the new one in and they sent me the wrong parts (note to self to check the posts BEFORE taking apart any repair). I had to shave the existing bushing down to get it back into its housing, then put 2 washers on each side of the control arm and put it back in its connection bracket. This seems to hold to I get the correct bushing. I plan on doing the washer trick again when I get the new bushings, why they don't send the part out with a fix to this, I don't know.

Lesson: Don't use Rough Country ever again, there's much better stuff out there Made in America, costs more but worth it!

Thanks for your help, hope this can help others with the same problem.