Clicking noise in four wheel drive

Ballistic17

JK Enthusiast
Before I left on my work trip 2 weeks ago it snowed quite a bit. I put it in four and drove to my girlfriends friend's place to help her get her car out. When my girlfriend drove the Jeep up to me after I was shoveling I heard a clicking noise. When I got in I drove forward and backwards and it still clicked. Took it out of four and it didn't do it. Put it back in four and it did it again. Didn't get a chance to look at it and still on the road. Anyway have an idea on what it could be?

Thanks

Crawl under the jeep and see if you can move the front driveshaft up and down at the joint. Does it move at all? Movement in a CV joint means the joint is about to go.

If there's no movement, grease the u-joints and see what happens.

Won't be home till Saturday but I will do that first. I'm guessing since it doesn't do it in two wheel it doesn't spin all the time?

Were you or your girlfriend turning the wheels left or right. could have been binding in the u joint. but if the clicking is happening from going forward and back then its probably what chris said

Reactions: Chris
Won't be home till Saturday but I will do that first. I'm guessing since it doesn't do it in two wheel it doesn't spin all the time?

Correct. In 2WD the rear driveshaft is moving, but the front one is not. Once you engage 4WD, then the front driveshaft engages and begins moving as well.

Reactions: Ballistic17
Were you or your girlfriend turning the wheels left or right. could have been binding in the u joint. but if the clicking is happening from going forward and back then its probably what chris said
No turning. Just straight forward or back. I'll check everything out once I get back.

So after doing some more research it sounds like the cv joint can wear out faster on lifted Jeeps. Found a rebuild kit for high angles from Teraflex but also was looking at upgraded driveshafts. Adams driveshafts is one company I am looking at. Anyone have experience with them or other companies?

Yes, that's very true indeed. On lifted Jeeps, the CV is definitely going to be more stressed than it would on a bone stock, non-lifted Jeep.

For driveshafts, the two best places you can get them from IMHO are Adam's and Tom Wood. Both have mutual respect for each other, and both are among the best (if not the best) as far as driveshafts go.

Reactions: Ballistic17