Choosing the right size tire and wheels

rbrew

I am looking to upgrade my jeep tires and rims. I use my jeep mostly for short trips to work and for hunting. I do not do a lot of serious off roading. I have a stock jeep and was considering the 285/70/r17 tires mounted on 9 inch wide rims that have 4.7 inch backspacing. Is this a set up I can run without making other modifications to my jeep? Am I choosing the best rim width for these tires? Thanks

That's a great sized tire. A narrower 33" basically, which will be excellent on-road and off-road (especially on-road).

Ideal backspacing would be around 5.2", but 4.7" will work as well, they'll just stick out a little bit.

Reactions: rbrew
One of my recent responses has a couple of pictures of my jeep running that exact size. The pics are with a leveling kit and my new 2.5 lift.

At stock you will get a bit of rubbing on the air dam, just cut that part off. I don't remember what caused me to get the leveling kit, but I don't think it was because it was rubbing on important parts.

Reactions: rbrew
I've got 285/70r17 on stock rims with 1.5inch wheel spacers. I rub the top of the rear inner fenders and 3/4 of the way up the front edge of the rear flares. Im not really a fan of the cut flare look since it draws unnecessary attention where i live but that would probably get you the clearance without spending money