Can't remove track bar bolt, grrrr...

Frog lube

Supporting Member
I banged up my steering stabilizer and am trying to replace it. Since the one I banged up is a Teraflex it isn't the first time this has been replaced and no wonder as it sits below the axle tube. I bought a relocation bracket kit to move the stabilizer above the track bar but I cannot get the passenger side track bar bolt off. The nut it too close to the axle to get a socket on it (I think it is a flag-type nut anyway) so I am attacking it from the front. With my Milwaukee 3/8" impact turned all the way up it doesn't budge. I tried WD40 and no luck. Any ideas? Heat? I can go to DIY Auto and spend the $40 to put it on a lift and attack it with a 1/2" air impact but that's admitting defeat.

You don't have a 1/2" breaker bar, i've used them when impact wouldn't break a nut loose.

I do have a 24" 1/2" breaker bar and a 15/16 socket. But the impact is rated to 200 ft-lbs so I will have to put a big cheater on the breaker bar to beat that. I am also trying to do this with my jeep flat on the ground so I don't have a lot of room. But ya, I gotta do something different so I'll give your idea a try.

I banged up my steering stabilizer and am trying to replace it. Since the one I banged up is a Teraflex it isn't the first time this has been replaced and no wonder as it sits below the axle tube. I bought a relocation bracket kit to move the stabilizer above the track bar but I cannot get the passenger side track bar bolt off. The nut it too close to the axle to get a socket on it (I think it is a flag-type nut anyway) so I am attacking it from the front. With my Milwaukee 3/8" impact turned all the way up it doesn't budge. I tried WD40 and no luck. Any ideas? Heat? I can go to DIY Auto and spend the $40 to put it on a lift and attack it with a 1/2" air impact but that's admitting defeat.
The base milwaukee impact is only so useful for jeep, it's never going to get that off. especially when you are trying to remove a bolt that is torqued to over 100f-lbs. I think it's 125. These impact guns are not rated the same way as torque wrench, you cannot apples to apples them.

I broke down and bought the new mid-torque when that came out last year. But everyone is right, you have to use a breaker bar.

Plus, WD-40 is not the right product to use for this. It is a water displacement chemical, not for breaking free rusty bolts. Go pick up some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.

When you put it back on, use a torque wrench. This particular bolt needs a very high torque rating and can cause problems if it is not tight enough.

Reactions: Danarch
The base milwaukee impact is only so useful for jeep, it's never going to get that off. especially when you are trying to remove a bolt that is torqued to over 100f-lbs. I think it's 125. These impact guns are not rated the same way as torque wrench, you cannot apples to apples them.

I broke down and bought the new mid-torque when that came out last year. But everyone is right, you have to use a breaker bar.

Plus, WD-40 is not the right product to use for this. It is a water displacement chemical, not for breaking free rusty bolts. Go pick up some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.

When you put it back on, use a torque wrench. This particular bolt needs a very high torque rating and can cause problems if it is not tight enough.
All wise words as I’m slowly learning, haha!

If they used locktite red the only option is a little propane torch to loosen it up. Even locktite blue can be a major dis-assembly nightmare.
Great thought! I bought the Jeep from a mechanic and he probably did use loctite. I ended up replacing the damper, which was easy, but not installing the relocation bracket. I’ll try heat and a breaker bar when I have a little more time. Plus I should really buy a 1/2” torque wrench :)

PB Blaster is good penetrating oil

Reactions: Frog lube