Can not turn off traction control.

CalvinatorJohn

Hi. This is my first post so I hope I don't babble too much.
I have not been able to find any info on this issue. Everything is related to abs, tcs and stability control lights not turning off.
When I start my 2016 JK sport and the dash lights go through their check my abs, tcs and sc lights do not come on.When those systems are activated, snowy slippery roads, the lights do not flash. When I press the tcs button nothing happens. In 2 wheel, 4 wheel high or low range. When I press and hold it for 7 or so seconds I do get a message the stability control is disabled. I checked the lights with JScan and they do work. I have tried a full dashboard scan and those lights do not come on. There are no codes active. I have pulled both main fuses for abs and tcs and that did disable everything including my speedometer and a few other things but the dash lights did not come on.
The front axel assembly was replaced with factory axel and that is when the problem began. I had the jeep back to the body shop, they could not find any problems.
I live in Ontario and it helps to turn these features off in the snow some times. I'm not sure I want to put in a bypass switch.
Appreciate any help.

Hi. This is my first post so I hope I don't babble too much.
I have not been able to find any info on this issue. Everything is related to abs, tcs and stability control lights not turning off.
When I start my 2016 JK sport and the dash lights go through their check my abs, tcs and sc lights do not come on.When those systems are activated, snowy slippery roads, the lights do not flash. When I press the tcs button nothing happens. In 2 wheel, 4 wheel high or low range. When I press and hold it for 7 or so seconds I do get a message the stability control is disabled. I checked the lights with JScan and they do work. I have tried a full dashboard scan and those lights do not come on. There are no codes active. I have pulled both main fuses for abs and tcs and that did disable everything including my speedometer and a few other things but the dash lights did not come on.
The front axel assembly was replaced with factory axel and that is when the problem began. I had the jeep back to the body shop, they could not find any problems.
I live in Ontario and it helps to turn these features off in the snow some times. I'm not sure I want to put in a bypass switch.
Appreciate any help.

Are you sure someone already hasn't disabled it? The Traction Control Device is under the center console.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
It was working before a minor accident and the axel replaced. The systems do work. Just no lights and cannot turn of tcs.
Would the dash lights not be on or error codes if it was disabled or unplugged at the control module?

Something does sound turned off. As annoying as TC can be in certain situations, it is there for a good reason and it working should be a priority especially in winter.

My first question, which could change depending on the results from what @JerryD has posted, is that you took it back to the same shop that originally did the work? I would hope it's a legit shop, but "My traction control doesn't work after you did your work" is not completed work.

Reset the computer can get back to us.

Reactions: BigAL07
JerryD I have done that cluster test and the lights do not come on for abs, tcs, sc and the lightning bolt one.
MacGuyver It does sound like something is turned off. The body shop is legit. The work is not completed yet because of this problem. I was hoping it may be something simple. I did try to reset the ecu but don't know if I did it right. I've read of a few differing ways.

I can do a light test with the JScan and check each light individually. They do work.
I'm unsure how jscan tests the lights or how the light circuits work. What I mean is there may be a mechanism for just testing the bulb itself that does not verify if the sensor is doing it's job. Same with the cluster self test.
Anyone have insight?

What method did you use for resetting the ECU? Disconnect positive battery, touch to ground for 30 seconds, replace. Turn key to on, not start, Turn the lights on then off. Turn the key off.

Here is a more step by step version.

Reset ECU

Reactions: JerryD and BigAL07
I have posted this before. Have J6 pulled, I started driving in these Ontario winters Circa 1975 without TC and Anti Lock Brake. And we did not have Primo winter tires back then. That was a lot of help, Not.

My traction control does work. We have snow covered roads right now so it is easy to test. When traction control is off,( by way of pulling a fuse), I get wheel spin on one wheel only. Poor traction. When it is on I get traction to both wheel through the traction control system. At no time are there any dash lights on.

This is an interesting one... @MacGuyver not sure about the self test. My experience with those tests is that it's a simplified separate circuit where you are just checking the light operation.

@CalvinatorJohn usually I start with what was last worked on, but I don't see a correlation. I still suggest it's the cluster (since abs/traction control seem to work normally). It's not too bad to pull and reset connections. If nothing else, you'll eliminate a loose plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
I did unplug the abs control module at one point and drove the Jeep a short distance. None of the systems worked. That was when my speedometer and a few other gauges didn't work. Not when I pulled fuses like I said earlier.
I did try another ECU reset again and then a self test. All the lights came on. I started the Jeep and pushed TC off button. Nothing. Next start no lights again.
I'm beginning to lean towards ABS module. Is there any way to test this unit?

The lights should illuminate when there is a problem or when it is active. You said all systems seem to be working normally.

I would invest in a factory service manual. I'm afraid you're just going to be Chasing Ghosts with our well-intentioned help. I've never heard of a problem like this before. Usually people can't get the lights to go out. :)

That's why I started this post in hopes that someone may have dealt with a similar situation. It is pretty unusual. I was hoping for a simple plug missing or something.
Back to the body shop I think. Let them send it to a dealer for a full diagnostic and reset.

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
I have the same problem! I have a 2012 JKU. My jeep's TCS/ESP used to work normally. Currently, when I turn the key on, the ESP/TCS lights do not come on (key on position). I know the bulbs/display works because I can turn them on manually in Jscan. There are no faults on the ECU, or ABS modules. I know the TCS/ESP button works becuase I can see the input in Jscan, and ESC will disable if I hold it down, while in 4H. I get an "ESC Disabled" message in the information center, but the TCS light does not come on, in the cluster. I have no warning lights... I'm stumped.