Can I wheel a JKU Sport with 285/70r17s tires on stock wheels with 2.5" lift without rubbing

MarkS

Hello,

I'm finalizing the build plan for my 2018 JKU Sport and I'm looking for some advice from the JK experts here.

The plan was to install a set of near new 285/70r17 BFG KO2 tires on a new set of appropriately offset wheels and this AEV 2.5" lift (https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-dualsport-xt-suspension-2-5/) Unfortunately the availability of wheels is really poor here these days and I've been unable to find wheels in stock that I like. I have everything else in hand ready to go except the new wheels.

I have an opportunity to go wheeling next weekend and I'd love to get the new tires and lift on the Jeep before then. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with using the stock JKU sport wheels which I believe are 17x7.5 with 6.25" backspace for now but I'm concerned how bad they'll rub out in the woods. The wheeling will be relatively mild but I'm concerned using the stock wheels and 285/70r17s may rub in a way that could cause damage to the jeep.

Do you think I can wheel a JKU Sport with 285/70r17s tires on stock wheels with 2.5" lift without rubbing?

Thanks,
Mark

You'll likely rub at full lock. I used Spidertrax spacers for a long time before I got wheels with the correct offset. A lot of pros and cons on wheel spacers, but that's what I did and I had no issues. Just go with a quality brand and follow the instructions to the T.

EDIT: spidertrax often has blems on sale, too

Reactions: mrjp
Stock wheels won't even go back on the jeep. That size impacts some rear suspension components if put on stock wheels. It's not about the lift, but about the backspacing. I found this out the hard way.

Don't use spacers. Farmers that run spacers is a good money maker for a friend of mine with a shop. They put the wrong kind of stress on things that properly backspaced wheels do not. Not to mention they create a failure point that you can't check on the trail without taking the tire off.

Hold off until you can put it together correctly.

I agree wheel spacers aren't ideal. However, there's a lot of bs horror stories out there about them too. Properly installed, quality, hub-centric designs like Spidertrax induce no more stress on components than an offset rim. People run in to problems when they go cheap. YMMV.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU