Can I run 38" tires on my JK?

Bmoriarty

I just bought a Jeep Wrangler x 2008. It has 120k mile, 37” tires, 513 gears, 6” high country lift, fox 2.0 shocks, front and rear track bars, double shock steering stabilizer, adams driveshafts. I want to run 38 super swamper. I live in Fl sugar sand, deep water and mud. If I get chrome molly axles do you think I will be fine running 38.5 super swamper. Thanks in advance.

Stock front axle? If so, chromoly will shift the weak point to the ring and pinion which on a D30 is smaller than a d44. I would gusset & truss a D30 if I were mudding it before I would upgrade the shafts. Rather replace a shaft than grenade a r&p.

Stock front axle? If so, chromoly will shift the weak point to the ring and pinion which on a D30 is smaller than a d44. I would gusset & truss a D30 if I were mudding it before I would upgrade the shafts. Rather replace a shaft than grenade a r&p.
Thank you. It’s got after market 5.13 in the front. Mybe I’ll just chromemoly the rear till I beef it up. I’ve already order it all

If all those mods came with the jeep, I would be surprised if the previous owner didn't upgrade the stock axle.

I wonder if mud and sand would possibly be harder on the axles than rock crawling. For the simple reason you are likely to have the wheels going at higher speeds when going through obstacles.

Reactions: Danarch
If all those mods came with the jeep, I would be surprised if the previous owner didn't upgrade the stock axle.

I wonder if mud and sand would possibly be harder on the axles than rock crawling. For the simple reason you are likely to have the wheels going at higher speeds when going through obstacles.

Never underestimate what a previous owner has done ( or should have but didn't)

Reactions: mrjp
Never underestimate what a previous owner has done ( or should have but didn't)
certainly. Bit out of my wheelhouse when you get up to those size tires.

Though you need to know what you have before starting the upgrade process in any direction. Especially since Chris has pointed out that even dana 44s aren't good enough for that size tire.

peanut butter mud and sand can be worse, the week link is gonna break when stressed like a 513 in a D30? very small pinion gear in there. I run 37s on my D30 but it is trussed (which does nothing to help pinion size) but also only 456 with e-locker, hoping to avoid breaking gears. also when wheelin.. lol o no mud and careful skinny pedal