California Camping Spots in California

Gas Guzzling Pig

Hello,

I just got my new roof top tent and was looking for some cool places to go camping with the family. I currently live on the central coast of CA. Anybody have any suggestions?

Sunset State Beach (Watsonville area) has overnight campgrounds, was always one of my favorite spots when I lived in CA.
Mono Lake is different, and there are several nice ones in the Santa Barbara area.

There's a really neat camping beach before you get to Lompoc. The turn off goes the road that runs from PCH to Lompoc. I don't have my maps with me, or I'd look it up real quick.

I'm not too familiar with southern/central area but heading just about due east into the Sequoia Nat'l Forest you'll find plenty of beautiful spots. Drive a bit further east into Death Valley and check out some stunning views that look like other planets. And now is the time to go to Death Valley.
Just North of Sequoia Nat'l Forrest you have King's Canyon and Sierra Nat'l Forrest. Lots of the dispersed camping in these areas will start opening up in April (short any serious snow). Some of our favorites are around Shaver Lake / Bald mountain.

Do a google search for
suv rving california
to find some videos.

This guy is nice and relaxed and makes excellent videos on camping hiking and does his best to avoid the crowds.

Don

Edit: buy the cheapest walmart tent to mark your spot when you want to tour an area and want to reserve a home base.

Last edited:
Welcome! I live in Bakersfield, CA. Used to live in SLO. Tons of areas east of Bakersfield, Mojave, Death Valley, mammoth area, soooo many cool places. Message me for for details if you want.