tylerd774

Heeeeeelp! This issue is becoming the bane of my existence! šŸ˜­

Okay, I'm done being dramatic now.

So a few months ago I replaced the recirculation door motor behind the glove box because it was grinding and popping real bad. I just bought the doorman brand from autozone and when I turned the vehicle on my HVAC controller started doing the blink of death (idk if anyone calls it this, but I started referring to it as such because it was summer in Texas) where it sits there and blinks for about 30 seconds before the AC starts blowing. My initial research led me to believe that the flash memory in my HVAC controller was shot (I had to always push the AC button upon start up since the day I bought it) so I ordered a new controller. 8 weeks later I got the new one and installed it, but same issue was continuing although now after the blinking stopped it would now remember left the AC on when I shut the vehicle down (yay!). Pretty shortly after, the Doorman motor I put in started making what I can only describe as the sound of a demon qu33fing, and I ordered a new one from extremeterrain.com which came with instructions to recalibrate the HVAC motors before plugging it in. Now this is where I'm stuck. The info I can find on how to do this is by downloading Jscan and using an elm327 dongle in the obd2 port. After buying the wrong dongle and failing to connect, then buying the correct one, then buying a license for my jeep to use jscan, I cannot find the option to recalibrate the HVAC doors even searching for every key word I could think of. The only available function is to test them, which of course my recirculation door fails. Although I've done some other cool stuff with the app like reset my speedometer to fit my tires, and turned off the incessant beeping when I drive 100 yds with my seatbelt off, I'd really like to solve this annoying issue. I sent a message to Jscan support on Facebook, but they left me on read and it's been over a week. In the meantime I just plugged my motor in to have a functioning recirculation door. If anyone can give me any advice that doesn't involve me having to take it to the dealer I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance! šŸ¤˜

Hi Tylerd774
Man does this sound familiar! I had a defective recirculating air door on my '13 JK and got the Doorman replacement from Amazon. Replacing this is a long story for another day! After installing it I also got the 30 second blinking amber light before the A/C starts up. Here in So.Cali it usually isnt a big deal but in Texas I bet 30 second seems like an eternity on a hot day! After 30 seconds or so the A/C starts without having to push the button for A/C so mine seem to keeps the memory. Also some times the amber light does not blink on start up so things start normally. I am not familiar with the JSCAN thing you mentioned but I have a scan tool called XTOOL and when running a complete scan I get the HVAC error stating recirculating air door actuator is out of range but I see no where on any of the scan tool fields where to adjust the limits. Clearing the DTC doesnt do anything - it pops back up on next start. I very carefully installed the Doorman actuator too. I wish I could help but I want you to know you are not alone. Hopefully someone can help us with a soulition. I like everything on my JK to work properly and this is a minor but nagging problem. Gook luck!!

Reactions: tylerd774
Found this on another forum. I did look on my J scan and couldn't find these settings so they may not show up until there's an actual error to where you can do the calibration. Regardless, hope it helps. Not my info, and credit to those on I think JK form that had it. I grabbed some notes that I took a while ago. Whenever I run across stuff like this I squirrel it away.

Calbibration using JScan "in adaptation use the search, type 'calibration' or hvac and you should be able to find it"Chrysler 2014ā€“07, Dodge 2018ā€“08, Jeep 2018ā€“10, Ram 2019ā€“14

The reset process must be performed after the actuator is installed under the dash and must not be plugged in prior to mounting the unit. The Air door actuator will not work unless the following steps are taken!

With a scan tool on applicable vehicles: I am using JScan tool to accomplish this calibration.

1. Install a scan tool through the OBD-2 port.

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. Select HVAC Control Module

4. Select Special Functions

5. Select recalibrate All Motors. Do NOT adjust the climate control until calibration is complete.

6. Select ON, wait 60 seconds

7. Connect the electrical connector to the actuator... Done!

And a follow up post...

Thought I would post an update. I followed Dorman directions to the letter and the recirculation door is still a failing calibration. The recirculation door seems to be working. It opens and closes a couple of times during the calibration proceedure. Here is a link to the door video.JK Recirculation Door Actuator Operation
89967_862be074d08ddd42ee453ef9a0e7fe9f295b7ede.jpg

img_3276_8b872879139d12ede38cb92f98dcb93a92e11e20.png

Reactions: tylerd774
Found this on another forum. I did look on my J scan and couldn't find these settings so they may not show up until there's an actual error to where you can do the calibration. Regardless, hope it helps. Not my info, and credit to those on I think JK form that had it. I grabbed some notes that I took a while ago. Whenever I run across stuff like this I squirrel it away.

Calbibration using JScan "in adaptation use the search, type 'calibration' or hvac and you should be able to find it"Chrysler 2014ā€“07, Dodge 2018ā€“08, Jeep 2018ā€“10, Ram 2019ā€“14

The reset process must be performed after the actuator is installed under the dash and must not be plugged in prior to mounting the unit. The Air door actuator will not work unless the following steps are taken!

With a scan tool on applicable vehicles: I am using JScan tool to accomplish this calibration.

1. Install a scan tool through the OBD-2 port.

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. Select HVAC Control Module

4. Select Special Functions

5. Select recalibrate All Motors. Do NOT adjust the climate control until calibration is complete.

6. Select ON, wait 60 seconds

7. Connect the electrical connector to the actuator... Done!

And a follow up post...

Thought I would post an update. I followed Dorman directions to the letter and the recirculation door is still a failing calibration. The recirculation door seems to be working. It opens and closes a couple of times during the calibration proceedure. Here is a link to the door video.JK Recirculation Door Actuator Operation
View attachment 125463
View attachment 125464
That was the same exact forum that I found and the reason I downloaded JScan, but I could not find a 'recalibrate all motors' button anywhere. I found the test and ran it, but it just tells me the recirc door fails.

Hi Tylerd774
Man does this sound familiar! I had a defective recirculating air door on my '13 JK and got the Doorman replacement from Amazon. Replacing this is a long story for another day! After installing it I also got the 30 second blinking amber light before the A/C starts up. Here in So.Cali it usually isnt a big deal but in Texas I bet 30 second seems like an eternity on a hot day! After 30 seconds or so the A/C starts without having to push the button for A/C so mine seem to keeps the memory. Also some times the amber light does not blink on start up so things start normally. I am not familiar with the JSCAN thing you mentioned but I have a scan tool called XTOOL and when running a complete scan I get the HVAC error stating recirculating air door actuator is out of range but I see no where on any of the scan tool fields where to adjust the limits. Clearing the DTC doesnt do anything - it pops back up on next start. I very carefully installed the Doorman actuator too. I wish I could help but I want you to know you are not alone. Hopefully someone can help us with a soulition. I like everything on my JK to work properly and this is a minor but nagging problem. Gook luck!!
It's not quite as much of an issue now that it's winter, but we had some scorchers this summer for sure and that 30 seconds was hell. Lol it's definitely inconsistent in mine as well. USUALLY when I just turn the jeep off for a couple of minutes it will turn right on when I start the jeep back up, but not always. Then there's times where it will come right on after the jeep has been off for hours, but those are rarer. It's definitely just an annoying issue. Now it's almost winter and I have to flush or (hopefully not) replace my heater core because I have absolutely no heat coming out. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

I replaced my blend air door motor. Since then for about 10 seconds the amber light blinks the it turns off and all is normal. It never use to do that before From what I found, recalibrating was for vehicles with independent automatic temperature settings for the driver and passenger sides or did I screw it up?