CAI or factory air box?

Xotlia

Supporting Member
Was looking around at mods and stumbled across CAI. Is this a bad idea as I live in blowing snow country in the winter and always seems to be water on the road the rest of the year. So... stick with a factory air box and BETTER filter, or pop for a K&N CAI?

K&N CAI is useless in many levels.
Been there and many of my friends back in the days when we do lot's of off roads and water crossings.

CAIs are useless on these engines. You will gain no measurable horsepower from it, and if you off-road, you're actually going your engine more harm than good, as the aftermarket filters (i.e. K&N) are garbage when it comes to keep debris out.

Skip the CAI. I don't know how anyone ever got it in their head that they increase power on these engines, but those people are definitely wrong. This is one of the oldest scams in the book. Unless of course you plan to open up the heads via a port job, install bigger valves, and basically open up the entire pathway for more air.

Also, DO NOT buy a K&N filter to put in place of your factory airbag filter. Those things do more damage than good, and all for nothing (you won't gain any HP from them). Such a huge scam, that's for sure.