Buying A Winch Bumper Off Of Amazon?

F

FLGeezer

Looking to replace my stock front bumper with a winch bumper. Besides looking at the major brand names I see a bunch on Amazon. These have the usual (or unusual) nonsensical brand names that a lot of made in China products have. They have decent reviews but I'd be concerned about the quality of the powder coat.

Anybody here ever bought one of these and how's your experience with it?

Looking to replace my stock front bumper with a winch bumper. Besides looking at the major brand names I see a bunch on Amazon. These have the usual (or unusual) nonsensical brand names that a lot of made in China products have. They have decent reviews but I'd be concerned about the quality of the powder coat.

If you look at the unusual named stuff on Amazon they are usually the exact same items, those names are just the vendors names that are put on the boxes from China.

@Anybodyhome and I both bought a nice bumper from Extreme Terrain.

Last edited:
I don't trust Anything I buy on Amazon. Most of the parts are fakes.

If you're looking for looks on a bargain go for it.

Now...that being said I did buy a synthetic rope and hawse on Amazon...the red rope turned pink, the black hawse turned brown and bent.

I wouldn't risk a bumper....

If you want to see...

If you look at the unusual named stuff on Amazon they are usually the exact same items, those names are just the vendors names that are put on the boxes from China.
Yeah, it's called "white label". I might trust a off-brand steel bumper but I won't be buying an off-brand winch.

Reactions: Speartip
I've built both our current Jeeps primarily with stuff purchased through Amazon.
As far as Bumpers go, I bought two sets of these front and rear bumper combo packages.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HKMT543/?tag=jkforum-20 As I recall, I paid about $600 for each set.

The thinnest metal involved is 5/32" steel. The fit and finish are excellent and I like the styling. If you're building a hardcore rock buggy and want to use your bumper to break rocks that you can't crawl over, you won't be happy. If you're building a driver that sees some off highway use on mild to moderate trails and can expect the usual contact, these are fine. I've run difficult trails with mine and had contact. I've tugged on it with a 10,000lb winch. No damage at all.
IMG_5590.JPG IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5708.JPG
I did manage to crumple one, but that impact (on the street) was hard enough to bend my frame, so it's unreasonable to expect the bumper not to bend...
IMG_5661.JPG IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5663.JPG

If purchasing a no name brand from Amazon try
and get a pic of the winch mount . The PO put on my
current front bumper . There is space to mount the
winch but the winch mount is only welded to the bumper.
There is no bracket connecting winch directly to the frame rails.
The bumper itself looks good, tough 3/16 thick, quality welds.
Just designed poorly when it came to mounting a winch.
Its why I'm not rockin one yet.
Trying to decide if i should modify this one or get a bumper
with proper winch mount. The quality brands have a plate that
will extend to the frame rails and bolt up where the bumper attaches.
As beefy as my bumper is dont want to find out the hard way that
current winch platform is sub par. There can be extraordinary stresses
placed on gear when winching yourself or someone else out of of a jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog