Buying a new Jeep soon, need some clarity

Ricodylan13

Hey all,
I want to try and keep this as short and clear as possible but I have some questions.

So, I've been looking at Wranglers for a while now and I am weeks if not days away from purchasing one. I am looking at a 2016 Sahara with 31k miles on it. However, I looked up the build list and I notice it has 3.21 gear ratio which is making me second guess whether it is the right pick for me. They have a 2015 Sahara for about $2000 less with 41k miles but it has the 3.73 gear ratio. I plan on modding the jeep over time and I have been doing a lot of research on it to try and plan out what I want to do and find out a rough estimate of pricing for it all. I want to get a 3-3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires.

My first question is; Would it be better to buy the 2015 with the 3.73 because it has the higher gear ratio? I know regearing can be expensive and I would prefer to not spend the extra money to re-gear when I want to get new tires and a lift kit. A side note is that the 2015 Sahara has the 7 spoke rims which I am not a big fan of so I would prefer to get newer rims and tires sooner rather than later.

My next question is a little more involved, but I basically want to know all I would have to do to get bigger tires and a lift on. I know there are issues that arise when lifting so I want to get a better idea of what type of work would have to be done other than installing a 3-3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I know there has to be adjustments for certain geometry, the driveshaft might have to be replaced, exhaust clearance issues etc. I also know that tires are heavier so I'm not sure if I will also have to buy a beefier tire carrier to not put unnecessary stress on the hinges. So basically I want to figure out all the possible things I would have to do to safely and thoroughly to build my Jeep without running into issues down the line.

I hope this was clear and I am open for discussions regarding my questions. A disclaimer is that I am not the most "mechanical savvy" person so I am learning as I go and am doing a lot of research to help myself learn more about Wranglers. I appreciate any help that I can get and I hope I can make a decision that is best for me.

Assuming it's an automatic transmission, neither 3.21 or 3.73 is going to work well with 35s. 3.21 will suck big time with 35s, and 3.73 won't be much better.

4.10 (which is an option on the Rubicon models) would be the best choice the factory offered. However, with 35s, the correct gear ratio would be 4.56, which was never a factory offered option.

So in all reality, neither of those gear options will work well with 35s, they will both suck big time. You're either going to have to re-gear in the long run, or buy a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, which will at least be much, much better with 35s.

To add a 3.5" lift, all you need are the bigger tires, the 3.5" lift kit (I highly suggest the AEV DualSport 3.5" lift), and exhaust spacers, that's literally it. In terms of running a spare tire, you'll need an aftermarket tire carrier. I suggest either the AEV tire carrier (this is a very, very nice tire carrier), or the Teraflex body mounted carrier.

With all that, you won't have any issues at all!

Assuming it's an automatic transmission, neither 3.21 or 3.73 is going to work well with 35s. 3.21 will suck big time with 35s, and 3.73 won't be much better.

4.10 (which is an option on the Rubicon models) would be the best choice the factory offered. However, with 35s, the correct gear ratio would be 4.56, which was never a factory offered option.

So in all reality, neither of those gear options will work well with 35s, they will both suck big time. You're either going to have to re-gear in the long run, or buy a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, which will at least be much, much better with 35s.

To add a 3.5" lift, all you need are the bigger tires, the 3.5" lift kit (I highly suggest the AEV DualSport 3.5" lift), and exhaust spacers, that's literally it. In terms of running a spare tire, you'll need an aftermarket tire carrier. I suggest either the AEV tire carrier (this is a very, very nice tire carrier), or the Teraflex body mounted carrier.

With all that, you won't have any issues at all!

Thank you for the quick response!

So I guess re-gearing will be something I have to do down the line anyway. I'm a recent college grad so unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to spend on mods right away. I understand the ride might not be great with the 3.21/3.73, but will I be putting any unnecessary stress on any part of the Jeep?

If I can get by with the lift and bigger tires for a little to save up for a re-gearing, that would make me feel a lot safer.

Generally, I agree with what Chris posted. I have a 2dr Sport with the AEV 2.5" lift & 35s (if I had a 4dr I'd want the 3.5) with an auto & 3.73's. Terrain has a bit to do with it, too. In hilly areas, I feel it. I plan on doing a gear swap but haven't gotten around to it.

I am also aware of the limitations of the D30 front axle, so that's another reason to look at a Rubi if I were you. That said, you can do a lot with a stocker non-Rubicon & 33s. 41k isn't a lot of miles.

Post up pics once you buy ;)

Generally, I agree with what Chris posted. I have a 2dr Sport with the AEV 2.5" lift & 35s (if I had a 4dr I'd want the 3.5) with an auto & 3.73's. Terrain has a bit to do with it, too. In hilly areas, I feel it. I plan on doing a gear swap but haven't gotten around to it.

I am also aware of the limitations of the D30 front axle, so that's another reason to look at a Rubi if I were you. That said, you can do a lot with a stocker non-Rubicon & 33s. 41k isn't a lot of miles.

Post up pics once you buy ;)
They have a really clean Rubicon at the dealer I've been talking to with 39k miles. I'm definitely going to try and see if I can fit that in my budget. Thank you for the help though, I appreciate it.

Hopefully I will be posting a picture soon!!

If you don’t get the Rubicon do the gearing first, then add the lift and tires. Don’t rush into the lift, wheels/tires until your gearing is up to par.

As someone who graduated college 3 years ago, and you're going to hate me saying this, try to wait. If you don't wait on getting a Jeep, definitely wait to mod it. Get yourself financially stable before getting a ton of debt underneath you (a Jeep is debt in many ways). I know you have this overwhelming feeling of "i really want a Jeep and to do all of this stuff" I was there too and you deserve it after a accomplishment such as graduation. However, I am so happy I waited.

If you do decide to get one, stock will do fine 95% of the places you will ever need/want to go.

I know its not the answer you want to hear, trust me, people told me the same and it ticked me off, but Jeeps cost a LOT. Sorry for being "that" guy.

As someone who graduated college 3 years ago, and you're going to hate me saying this, try to wait. If you don't wait on getting a Jeep, definitely wait to mod it. Get yourself financially stable before getting a ton of debt underneath you (a Jeep is debt in many ways). I know you have this overwhelming feeling of "i really want a Jeep and to do all of this stuff" I was there too and you deserve it after a accomplishment such as graduation. However, I am so happy I waited.

If you do decide to get one, stock will do fine 95% of the places you will ever need/want to go.

I know its not the answer you want to hear, trust me, people told me the same and it ticked me off, but Jeeps cost a LOT. Sorry for being "that" guy.
100% agree. I’ve been out of college for a while, but I have made many dumb vehcile purchases over the years. Buy it when you have the cash. A Jeep and all other vehicles are depreciating assets...no matter what billy down the street says...they all are.

Thank you for the quick response!

So I guess re-gearing will be something I have to do down the line anyway. I'm a recent college grad so unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to spend on mods right away. I understand the ride might not be great with the 3.21/3.73, but will I be putting any unnecessary stress on any part of the Jeep?

If I can get by with the lift and bigger tires for a little to save up for a re-gearing, that would make me feel a lot safer.

Yes, you'll want to re-gear at some point. Do you need to do it now? No, but it will drive so much better once you re-gear it. No need to worry about stress though, that's not a concern with the 3.21 or 3.73 gears.

You can drive it with the stock gears and 35s for as long as you want. All you're going to notice when you go to 4.56 gears is how much more power it feels like it has, and how much better it is off-the-line, at cruising speeds, etc. The Jeep will feel much more powerful all around and not so sluggish.

If you are going to wheel it at all you will be far better off in the long run to get a Rubicon. Dana 44's, 4:10 gears, lockers, 4:1 Low range NP241 transfer case, sway bar disconnects, you can run 35's with a level kit and spacers, etc, etc, etc. You'd have a better wheeler with a bone stock Rubi than a Sahara with the mods you've listed.

"Upgrading" a jeep does not increase resale value and will reduce customer base if you want to sell.
The exception might be if you paid a well known jeep expert to install a well known lift kit that doesn't destroy the jeeps daily driver capabilities.
Drive it for a year and find out what it really needs to be a more fun vehicle.
On the East coast there are few situations that require a lift.

Hey all,
I want to try and keep this as short and clear as possible but I have some questions.

So, I've been looking at Wranglers for a while now and I am weeks if not days away from purchasing one. I am looking at a 2016 Sahara with 31k miles on it. However, I looked up the build list and I notice it has 3.21 gear ratio which is making me second guess whether it is the right pick for me. They have a 2015 Sahara for about $2000 less with 41k miles but it has the 3.73 gear ratio. I plan on modding the jeep over time and I have been doing a lot of research on it to try and plan out what I want to do and find out a rough estimate of pricing for it all. I want to get a 3-3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires.

My first question is; Would it be better to buy the 2015 with the 3.73 because it has the higher gear ratio? I know regearing can be expensive and I would prefer to not spend the extra money to re-gear when I want to get new tires and a lift kit. A side note is that the 2015 Sahara has the 7 spoke rims which I am not a big fan of so I would prefer to get newer rims and tires sooner rather than later.

My next question is a little more involved, but I basically want to know all I would have to do to get bigger tires and a lift on. I know there are issues that arise when lifting so I want to get a better idea of what type of work would have to be done other than installing a 3-3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I know there has to be adjustments for certain geometry, the driveshaft might have to be replaced, exhaust clearance issues etc. I also know that tires are heavier so I'm not sure if I will also have to buy a beefier tire carrier to not put unnecessary stress on the hinges. So basically I want to figure out all the possible things I would have to do to safely and thoroughly to build my Jeep without running into issues down the line.

I hope this was clear and I am open for discussions regarding my questions. A disclaimer is that I am not the most "mechanical savvy" person so I am learning as I go and am doing a lot of research to help myself learn more about Wranglers. I appreciate any help that I can get and I hope I can make a decision that is best for me.
Sahara is a nice model, but to be brutally honest, do not trust what you read in the internet and so you know nothing unless you already own a jeep wrangler.
I can sense by your post this is your daily driver on pavement and don't get me wrong, that is important to know because you really do not need all the off roading expensive stuff.
Buy an unmolested OEM JK and slowly build it as you go. Lastly, you're not a gear head and so you need roughly about $15k for the upgrades that you just mentioned.

Last edited:
To be brutally honest, do not trust what you read in the internet and so you know nothing unless you already own a jeep. I can sense by your post this is your daily driver on pavement and don't get me wrong, that is important to know because you really do not need all the off roading expensive stuff. Buy an unmolested OEM JK and slowly build it as you go.

Like I said, I am very new to this and I am trying to do my research to really learn what I need and what modifications I should do to my wrangler. I'm not looking to fully transform it in a few months and I know it will be a slow process and I am in no rush to do anything. I just want to learn more about different mods and what could be needed down the line, and I would rather learn about it now so when I actually have my wrangler I will know what I can/should do and make well informed decisions.

Listen, the longer you wait, the more fun times you lose !
Like learning from the jeep babes about what the roll bars can be used for when your top is off.
Or the real reason why jeepers really needs a high lift.

Last edited:
Listen, the longer you wait, the more fun times you lose !
Like learning from the jeep babes about what the roll bars can be used for when your top is off.
Or the real reason why jeepers really needs a high lift.

I don't think I'm enough of a jeep guy to understand what you just said lol! I apologize for being a newbie!

I edited this because I saw you mentioned it would cost $15k for the parts, do you mean for a 3.5'' lift and wheels??
I mean if I wanted a 2.5'' and 35s how much do you think I would be spending for good parts?

35" on 5 custom wheels may cost about $4k and suspension lift, skid plates and re-gear etc. is about $8K
Front & rear bumper with spare tire carrier and LED lights upgrades $3k and so roughly $15k is a decent budget.

Now Rubicon OEM is something you may want to consider vs. the sahara, but it depends on your personality. Often times your ride normally shows who you are as a person.

Last edited:
Sahara is a nice model, but to be brutally honest, do not trust what you read in the internet and so you know nothing unless you already own a jeep wrangler.
I can sense by your post this is your daily driver on pavement and don't get me wrong, that is important to know because you really do not need all the off roading expensive stuff.
Buy an unmolested OEM JK and slowly build it as you go. Lastly, you're not a gear head and so you need roughly about $15k for the upgrades that you just mentioned.
For $15k American Expedition Vehicles will custom build any JK...I’ve upgraded quite a few jeeps and I’ve never come anywhere near 15k hahaha. That’s quite the quote. My last white JKR I had under $7500 in

81EADA73-4879-4259-9440-35BF17A8F186.jpeg
57EA7635-662C-43DE-AA59-31225D6885E0.jpeg

As a few have already suggested, I would go for a Rubicon. For the slight difference in price vs Sahara, you will pay MUCH more to try and add those mods after the fact.

35" on 5 custom wheels may cost about $4k and suspension lift, skid plates and re-gear etc. is about $8K
Front & rear bumper with spare tire carrier and LED lights upgrades $3k and so roughly $15k is a decent budget.

Now Rubicon OEM is something you may want to consider vs. the sahara, but it depends on your personality. Often times your ride normally shows who you are as a person.

Do you know around how much it will cost for labor to install a lift kit?

Do you know around how much it will cost for labor to install a lift kit?
We must got a 2.5 inch lift installed and here in SC, the labor was around $600. We got a quote from another shop and it was around $800 for labor but that was for a 3.25 inch lift so there was a little more to it.