Buying a JK, need some help (Jeep newbie)

I never really drove a stock 3.8 for but just a few miles so I wasn't really impressed with the power either.

But put a set of long tube headers/high flow cats and cat back exhaust on along with a Viper Throttle Body. A Hypertech Viper tune and Premium Fuel tune and a Pedal Commander it'll wake that sleepy 3.8 right up.

In having this conversation with BLACKJKU recently, I got the Pedal Commander with my 2007 with the 3.8 liter V6. When looking for a Jeep this year and being in your same position, I was also hunting for any 4 door (because of kids). I test drove up to 2012. Although there was a difference (somewhat significant) between the 2007-11 (3.8 motor) and 2012-up (3.6 motor), I found a VERY clean 2007 with no lift and road tires. I bought it, put a mild lift and slightly larger (32”) tires on it AND THEN recently bought/installed the Pedal Commander for my 2007. IT MADE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE and I would buy another pre-2012 again, knowing that I can boost the potential of this motor. It doesn’t increase horsepower by any means, but adjusts the computer dramatically where I can safely accelerate and merge into traffic or pass someone on the highway.

My opinion: if you find a very well kept/maintained 2007-2011 that hasn’t been modified and used off-road, I’d buy it in a heartbeat, save the money and use it toward - First: a Pedal Commander (very easy installation) and then aesthetics and modifications for what your driving is going to be.

UNANIMOUS OPINION ( I don’t think anyone will argue): You will be happy you bought a Jeep. It makes driving fun and unique.

Edit: Damn.... this OP was in March 😂. So late in the game with my reply. I’ll go have more coffee now.

Last edited: