Bumper Identification

Rob R

Good evening guys is anyone familiar with this bumper?
I plan to install a winch this weekend, and I'm trying to figure out how to pivot the bumper to get the winch into its hole

PXL_20201113_043355137.jpg

PXL_20201113_043336958.jpg

I'm pretty sure majority of bumper use the frame at the oem mounting points. You'll have to remove the bumper in order to install the winch

Those bolts on each sides of those 2 pieces that stick out are the ones that hold the bumper on. Take bumper off then install winch and find 6 people to help you put it back on.

Thanks guys. That simplifies things a bit.
Now... To find a way to deal with these damned rusty Allen key bolts. Got one off last night, soaked the others in penetrating oil. Gonna probably have to hit it with the heat gun. Former northern car, now in Texas

I've found that if you soak the threads and also give the head a hard hit it will shock it and help the penetrating oil get in better. Just have to be careful you don't mess up the hole for the allen.

I don't know what the purpose of the pieces that stick out but if it was mine i'd find a way to remove them. The bumpers stick to far out as it is.

Reactions: mrjp
I don't know what the purpose of the pieces that stick out but if it was mine i'd find a way to remove them. The bumpers stick to far out as it is.
Looks like my AEV bumper, but not identical. Those are crash cans sticking out, just like on the stock bumper. Pretty sure you'll find they're just bolted on.

This bumper is a major pain in the ass. It looks okay, for an older JK, but the design of the bolts is horrible. Nearly each one is hidden, and you have to remove about 12 just to get to the back of the front 8 that hold the bumper to the frame ends. On top of that, only 1 side of the bolts is accessible, with the back nuts generally hidden. I had to use a crow's foot without any attachment (no room) just to get the bolts out. Took bout 15 minutes to position each bolt.
Once I get this thing off, I think I'm probably going to go with something much simpler and more serviceable.This thing is a nightmare.