Bump steer problems with Rough Country lift

Polyautobody

Installed a RC 4inch lift on a 2018 unlimited for a girl that just wanted it for looks so we used there 500 cheap kit and it has terrible bump steer. Like to the point its undrivable above about 40 mph even with the dual stabilizer set up we put on. I have tripple checked the install and cant find anywere I went wrong. It was aligned to specs on rc installation instructions. Would putting the stock pitman arm back on instead of using the drop in the kit help any? Anyone have an idea of where I should look for issues? The thing has 30k on it suspension components/wheel bearings/balljoints are all solid. I'm stumped.

Well, the dual steering stabilizer is an epic fail. No idea how the idiots at RC and other companies managed to convince Jeep owners they needed a dual steering stabilizer, but that is the biggest crock of bullshit marketing I've ever seen as far as Jeeps go... seriously. Remove that garbage because it's doing more harm than good.

Next up, did this kit have you install a drop pitman arm, new control arms, etc.?

If possible, you could post a link to which kit you installed, because I want to check out the components and see what the kit has you install. Rough Country is known for building very shoddy quality lifts and including components that actually do more harm than good (i.e. drop pitman arms, dual steering stabilizers, drop trackbar brackets, etc.).

Well, that dropped pitman arm is a big no-no, as it completely messes up the geometry of the steering and introduces bump steer (this is a known issue with drop pitman arms).

However, I'm unsure what those other brackets are in the kit. Is one of those mounted to the front track bar where it attaches to the frame?

Another issue I see is that at 4" of lift the control arm geometry is off. Since this is a cheap lift, it doesn't include adjustable control arms or geometry relocation brackets for the control arms. Because of this you're going to have caster that isn't anywhere near stock, nor can it be adjusted (since the control arms aren't adjustable). This is also going to cause issues with the steering such as not wanting to return-to-center.

Man, it blows my mind Rough Country and others pump out cheap shit like this. I mean sure, you get the look, but it's skipping on so many important things (and introducing so many bad things instead) that it makes me cringe.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
It has a track bar relocation bracket but it dosent move it much and the only caster adjustment there is on the lower control arms u notch out the frame are and have caster bolts in it

The bracket in the center of the picture near the bottom is a riser bracket you bolt the the rear axle and you use the stock track bar. That must be the cheap kit that was on my JKU that I just took off.

I also bought a rear adjustable track bar after I took the riser bracket off, I like to be able to make sure the rear is tracking and if it isn't be able to adjust it.

Have you checked to see if the front and rear axles are in the center of the vehicle? I stand a 4' level up and against the fender or tire if it sticks past the fender and see how far either the fender or tire is away from the level when it's standing straight.

I have a cheap Rough Country 3.5” lift and a Rough Country steering stabilizer on a 2018 Unlimited and have not had one issue. I did have mine installed professionally so that’s probably why I’ve not had an issue.

I called the rc installer in town and took it to the allighner he uses so I'm confident in that. And I have a caster gauge that shows we are set right on the money. I will post a pic of the front end when I can. So is worth trying the stock pitman arm even with the track bar relocation bracket? If I can just get this thing driveable I can get her to start swapping out for adjustable control arms and whatnot

Technically with that drop pitman arm you want a drop trackbar bracket. However, that doesn't change the fact that that is a very poorly designed way to build a lift. Those types of components aren't needed until you start reaching maybe 6" of lift or more. Even at 4", you don't want to run either of those.

I would go back to the stock pitman arm and attach the track bar to the stock frame mount, removing the drop trackbar bracket. That will at least rule that out.

Pics of front end

20200310_155114.jpg

20200310_155107.jpg

20200310_155104.jpg

20200310_155101.jpg

20200310_155059.jpg

20200310_155054.jpg

You installed the Dropped Pitman Arm but not the drop track bar bracket. That's where you need to start, remove the DPA and leave the dropped TB bracket off.
***Edit: I see where the JK bracket is on the axle side. Still need a shot of the drag link and track bar though.

DL.jpg

Last edited:
Get a straight on shot from inncer C to inner C if you have the time, but what I circled is probably your issue.

It looks as if the other end of the track bar has a raised bracket for the track bar. Seems to me a adjustable track bar would be better then having a raised bracket to allow for the raised truck. His next to last picture shows the bracket.

Your best bet is to put the OEM drag link back on and post the alignment actual readings. An adjustable track bar and original mounting locations is best. Also remove the steering stabilizer. That will just add strain to the pump and gear.