Brand new Jeep owner with aftermarket LED headlight issues

imikeb2

2016 JKU... it already had a lift, and 35's... one week into ownership, I have completed 6-8 upgrades/additions - LED headlights, turn signals and markers, tail lights, fuel door, grille, grab handles, etc...

This is really hard to put into words, please bare with me as this issue not something I can just google.

LED Headlights I installed almost immediately. Worked fine for 4 days (or so I think).
Im not sure where the best or worst place is to buy from but this was AM Offroad, seemed like a regular non-Chinese website, and they were nearly $200 (not top of the $700, but also not $50 ebay.... I thought)

I washed the Jeep yesterday, and I dont think it has anything to do with it but, that is a point in time in which I noticed this issue started...
-passenger headlight went out. seemed like a loose wire, if I move it around, light comes back in. So I used electrical tape to hold it more secure, which initially seemed to work.
-I noticed, if I switch to high beams, the light goes out every time. Not acceptable, I contacted customer support, they're sending a replacement.

-So as Im waiting now for the new ones to get here, I notice this... it seems so strange to me.
I have I think 4 positions of headlights on my turn signal
AUTO
REGULAR ON
MARKERS LIGHTS
OFF

now.... here is how my headlights are reacting as I switch between modes. This cant be normal....
AUTO - turns on automatically at all times of the day when Im not in PARK.
REGULAR ON - turns on automatically at all times of the day, IN ANY GEAR
MARKER LIGHTS - works normal UNTIL I PUT IT IN DRIVE, then my high beams come on!!
OFF - works normal UNTIL I PUT IT IN DRIVE, then my high beams come on!!

Yes, that's correct, in DRIVE, its literally impossible for me to turn my headlights OFF!!

The installation is simple. Simple connections, I have tried this with and without the Anti Flicker harness...
NO LUCK, complete chaos. I thought paying almost $200 would keep me away from the Chinese cheap LEDs but clearly thats not the case.

What should I do? This cant be normal, where should I buy my LEDs from? and can I get decent ones under $300?

Everything has been going great so far, I love the Jeep, Im obsessed, but this issue is just totally frustrating. Could the pressure washer have shorted something out? Or is just a result of crappy LEDs?

Thanks in advance, Im a total noobie, take it easy on me...

Wow your rig is possessed by a demon.

Did you tried to put back the OEM if the problem goes away?

I know they worked properly before I installed the LEDs. Until the replacements come in I have no choice but to put the OEM ones back in I guess. Im hoping to get some time tonight to swap them back in.

Does your Jeep have daytime running lights on? After doing the lift on the wife’s jku. I bought the programmer to adjust the speedometer an realized I could turn on daytime running lights with low beams or high beams. With her new led headlights and daytime running lights set up for high beams was causing her some issues With on coming traffic. So reprogrammed the DTL to be off. I was able to program her factory driving or fog lights to be on when she turns her brights on. So it floods the area in front of her Jeep when high beams are used. Don’t know if this will help.

Does your Jeep have daytime running lights on? After doing the lift on the wife’s jku. I bought the programmer to adjust the speedometer an realized I could turn on daytime running lights with low beams or high beams. With her new led headlights and daytime running lights set up for high beams was causing her some issues With on coming traffic. So reprogrammed the DTL to be off. I was able to program her factory driving or fog lights to be on when she turns her brights on. So it floods the area in front of her Jeep when high beams are used. Don’t know if this will help.
That’s good news. Sounds really familiar.
I haven’t even connected the DRL yet. My worst issue is sort of fixed. It was a bad connection in the wire harness that came with the LEDs. That was causing my biggest issue with them cutting in and out and sometimes not working at all.

BUT I did read on another forum, that my brights are acting as DRLs is kinda normal with some aftermarket LEDs.
If I’m in drive and it’s on
AUTO = High beams
ON = regular (which I can live with)
MARKERS = High beams
OFF = High beams

What is this programmer you speak of? LOL

my high beams are definitely acting as DRLs. Which sucks. But... I’m not comfortable wiring the DRL wires to my fuse box, I’m just not confident how to do it. So I’m living with it for now. I just always turn my lights on and my regular lights work... and until the weather warms up and I can get some assistance running those wires to my fuse box I won’t know fully if that behavior will be corrected or not.

It is the flashcal by superchips. Hopefully this will help you. I paid $180. At 4wd parts. They have a store a few miles from my house in columbus Ohio.

F499A8A0-7022-4E55-BFAA-8C0BBF4B6433.jpeg

Glad I am an old fart.

To your issues, you have to "tone down" a bit bec. nowadays upgrades are mostly electronic controlled devices and if you are not up to snuff with schematics - programmable logic controls (like me), unless you have a deep pocket, you are screwed.

This I agree: I thought paying almost $200 would keep me away from the Chinese cheap LEDs but clearly thats not the case.

You can't just throw LED lights on these things. My understanding is that you have to have them programmed into the PCM by the dealership (though this can also be done with J-Scan at least for the headlights and fog lights).

Happy to report its solved!! It was all computer/programming issues.
JSCAN app and a $30 dongle on amazon.

Changed my tire size to 35’s so my speedometer is accurate now. And, turned on my DRL feature and set the activity to mimic markers. Literally 5 minutes on an app on my iPhone and all is wel :)

so many more features, much cheaper than the dealership (charges more just to plug it in), ProCal module, or superchip but it can do it all on your smartphone for under $50. I cannot be any happier.
Thanks!

Happy to report its solved!! It was all computer/programming issues.
JSCAN app and a $30 dongle on amazon.

Changed my tire size to 35’s so my speedometer is accurate now. And, turned on my DRL feature and set the activity to mimic markers. Literally 5 minutes on an app on my iPhone and all is wel :)

so many more features, much cheaper than the dealership (charges more just to plug it in), ProCal module, or superchip but it can do it all on your smartphone for under $50. I cannot be any happier.
Thanks!

Woohoo, thanks for sharing! I had a feeling this would take care of it.

That J-Scan app is absolutely priceless. SO much better than any of the ProCal, Superchip, or other modules, and the best part is it's right there on your phone!

I've found it very helpful to use as an OBDII scanner as well. It truly is a fantastic app.

With the j-scan app. Do you need a wire to hook to the vehicle? Never heard of it til now. Could have saved 200 bucks. That’s always a good thing.

With the j-scan app. Do you need a wire to hook to the vehicle? Never heard of it til now. Could have saved 200 bucks. That’s always a good thing.

yes. You need abluetooth dongle... got mine from amazon for $29. I got the iCar Vgate it’s worked flawlessly so far. I’ve changed numerous settings with no issues.

8FBC3FA7-3943-4FA4-9BBB-43D03D5AA8CF.png

Reactions: theRealCrazy

No, you need this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4873/?tag=jkforum-20

That pairs with the app via Bluetooth and connects to your OBDII reader. There's a million different brands of these, but this particular one is the one that is known to work for 100% certain (it's also the one I use), so I always recommend it.

Does this work on all the JK's?
Looks like it works with tons. There’s over 40 vehicle models on here... JK’s, JL’s, JT, etc listed. see attachments.
PS - you can download the app for free. Then look through it in demo mode. TONS of things it capable of.

093FED5D-5DC1-4702-9082-016983A562EC.png

39F59A4D-E386-48B1-BD92-8B7993110BD9.png

D40484D4-8CFE-4CC2-ACC0-CD7F4ABE75DF.png

Reactions: BLACKJKU