Brake Caliper Needed

cpwolf

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got my boys 2008 JK replacing rear brakes. The passenger caliper is toast. Just reading I should make sure it bleeds, sounds like a rubber hose issue is out there.

I’ll do that, but is this a “Mopar” only part for some, or aftermarket?

The way I always tested to see if it's the caliper or the hose that's bad is to do this. Push hard on the brake pedal and release with the rear jacked up and tire on. Then if it's locked release the bleeder and if the caliper releases it's the hose that's bad. If the caliper doesn't release it's the caliper, but it's usually a good idea if replacing the caliper to also replace the lines.

A Mopar only part will be a new one, there are good quality remans out there also.

The way I always tested to see if it's the caliper or the hose that's bad is to do this. Push hard on the brake pedal and release with the rear jacked up and tire on. Then if it's locked release the bleeder and if the caliper releases it's the hose that's bad. If the caliper doesn't release it's the caliper, but it's usually a good idea if replacing the caliper to also replace the lines.

A Mopar only part will be a new one, there are good quality remans out there also.
Thanks. I’m neck deep in it, ha.

So the brakes are toast, my 19 year old son only doesn’t maintenance when I move it and say “that’s sounds jacked”

Argh.

No huge deal, pads and rotors, and I’m doing the ebrakes too.

Did the driver, all good, for clear fluid, all good

Pulled the passenger rear and got it to put the caliper back, and I cannot get it to depress. I’m not going to force it, even if I could

Where can you get a reman? I’ll start searching, but looking for a good price, the $192 Mopar on Quadratet is wxtrme

You know where to find that actual part #? I'm looking, and will keep, but if I can, then I can search eb\ay for a Mopar reman and make sure it's the right part#. I don't mind reman, just don't want chinabuilt autozone

Luckily I haven't had to replace any brake parts yet on my JK other then both front hoses that failed.

But on my other vehicles i've had good luck with A1Cardone, not sure if they have Jk calipers or not.

So I went to Napa this morning deciding I can put one on and have it as a daily driver and get this one rebuilt they had a remanufactured Mopar Chrysler for 60 or 65 bucks with a $60 coffee which I’ll go back and get so now I have a reman Chrysler with the Chrysler stamp Mopar part so there you go Napa great job

They sent me a notice my front hoses and wheel sensors have a 15yr plus unlimited miles warranty for premature failure. And that was after I replaced my hoses and rebuilt all my calipers ( one after the other started locking up). A lot cheaper to get new seals and boots from Amazon, mine you one has to have the skill set to complete the job. Also important to replace the fluid with a high quality product.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Thanks. I’m neck deep in it, ha.

So the brakes are toast, my 19 year old son only doesn’t maintenance when I move it and say “that’s sounds jacked”

Argh.

No huge deal, pads and rotors, and I’m doing the ebrakes too.

Did the driver, all good, for clear fluid, all good

Pulled the passenger rear and got it to put the caliper back, and I cannot get it to depress. I’m not going to force it, even if I could

Where can you get a reman? I’ll start searching, but looking for a good price, the $192 Mopar on Quadratet is wxtrme
I would check Rock Auto. I've bought Mopar items from them for half the price of the Stealerships. (that's not a typo)

Check these out from Rock Auto

Screenshot_20220917-072654_Chrome.jpg