BFGoodrich AT vs MT road noise?

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
How much noisier are the mt vs the at? I need a set of used tires. Found some BFGoodrich MTs. But worried they will be loud. Really looking for AT.

Reactions: Speartip
MTs would be significally louder than AT. Also depends on Brand. Never used BFGoodrich MTs but if you can look at the thread it would give you an idea

How much noisier are the mt vs the at? I need a set of used tires. Found some BFGoodrich MTs. But worried they will be loud. Really looking for AT.

I run BFG KO2 AT. Fantastic all around tire . Not very loud on the HWY.
Do you have the need for a MT tire ?
It will be brand dependant on how loud . Overall MT are not a quiet tire and sometimes very poor on ice or slick pavement depending on manufacturer .

Reactions: TROY66/68
I have a dual Magnaflow catback, can not hear a thing over that. But my dog can hear me coming home from miles away. My OEM Wrangler SRAs I have had in the basement for over a decade were quiet. Going to drag those AL rims up one winter and put on some Goodyear All Weather LTs. My steel rims are really showing there age now with all the salt we get here.

I run BFG KO2 AT. Fantastic all around tire . Not very loud on the HWY.
Do you have the need for a MT tire ?
It will be brand dependant on how loud . Overall MT are not a quiet tire and sometimes very poor on ice or slick pavement depending on manufacturer .
No. I don't need MTs. I am just in dire need of new tires. So was considering everything including this cheap pair of used MTs. But after further research and reading your comment. I'm going to stick to ATs. I had Falkan ATs on my TJ I just sold. But they are now around $250. I got mine for $165 a couple years ago.

I just bought a 2012 JKU in excellent condition. But I think the previous owner left them aired down. And they are so badly feathered I can't stand the noise or handling on grooved freeways.

I don't have $1200 at the moment. So looking at low or no mile used take offs. The MTs are pretty common from later model Jeeps and other 4x4s. I found a set of five Falkans ATs with 3k for $500. But just missed out on them.

I found a set if Goodyear Wrangler ATs. Not sure what model yet. But I read sometimes that those are loud too. Any knowledge of that?

No. I don't need MTs. I am just in dire need of new tires. So was considering everything including this cheap pair of used MTs. But after further research and reading your comment. I'm going to stick to ATs. I had Falkan ATs on my TJ I just sold. But they are now around $250. I got mine for $165 a couple years ago.

I just bought a 2012 JKU in excellent condition. But I think the previous owner left them aired down. And they are so badly feathered I can't stand the noise or handling on grooved freeways.

I don't have $1200 at the moment. So looking at low or no mile used take offs. The MTs are pretty common from later model Jeeps and other 4x4s. I found a set of five Falkans ATs with 3k for $500. But just missed out on them.

I found a set if Goodyear Wrangler ATs. Not sure what model yet. But I read sometimes that those are loud too. Any knowledge of that?

I ran Goodyear Wrangler AT on a couple pickups when I lived in Edmonton .
If the same tire good road manners , great on ice & snow
Quiet . Remember this was on a F150 with 6 1/2’ box .
Can’t say you will have same results with a JKU.
If you can hold out . I would suggest waiting till you see a pair of K02 up for sale.
Three peak rated .
Good on ice, snow & very well mannered on the street .
I’m running C rating which is equivalent to a 6 ply.
If you came across a E rated which is equivalent to 10 ply.
Be fore warned the ride is a bit more rough .
For off road the K02 is simply amazing. Rarely any sort of tire spin . Their like glue .
I’ve gone up 40 degree dirt & rock inclines with zero problems . Old river beds ,
Trails laced with sharp shale .
I’ve been on all the terrain BC has to offer including snow wheeling and never been stuck.
No tire is perfect . The one negative with K02. Wet frozen older snow . Anything deeper than 6” will give you a problem.
Fresh snow 8-10” is no problem when in the mountains

Last edited:
I ran Goodyear Wrangler AT on a couple pickups when I lived in Edmonton .
If the same tire good road manners , great on ice & snow
Quiet . Remember this was on a F150 with 6 1/2’ box .
Can’t say you will have same results with a JKU.
If you can hold out . I would suggest waiting till you see a pair of K02 up for sale.
Three peak rated .
Good on ice, snow & very well mannered on the street .
I’m running C rating which is equivalent to a 6 ply.
If you came across a E rated which is equivalent to 10 ply.
Be fore warned the ride is a bit more rough .
For off road the K02 is simply amazing. Rarely any sort of tire spin . Their like glue .
I’ve gone up 40 degree dirt & rock inclines with zero problems . Old river beds ,
Trails laced with sharp shale .
I’ve been on all the terrain BC has to offer including snow wheeling and never been stuck.
No tire is perfect . The one negative with K02. Wet frozen older snow . Anything deeper than 6” will give you a problem.
Fresh snow 8-10” is no problem when in the mountains
That's what my JKU came with. The ines that are trashed. Which is a shame cause there is olenty of tread left. Its just feathered to death. I would have bought them for my TJ could I have afforded them. And the Falkans not gone on sale. I think your right. I'm gonna wait for a set of used k02s. Or Falkans.

I have found a set of used Goodyear Wrangler AT/S for $400. But every review says uneven wear and noise.

Check eBay used tires (search by size) I have been buying tires both new and used there for years. Make sure it’s free shipping built in the deal.

Check eBay used tires (search by size) I have been buying tires both new and used there for years. Make sure it’s free shipping built in the deal.
Been looking there too. As well as offerup and craigslist. I have not checked facebook marketplace though. I will check in there today. :)