Best way to carry a surfboard on a JK two door?

Whitepink59

Hi all

I have a JK 2 door with a soft top. I tried to mount my surfboard on the roof/roll cage with a couple of ratchet tie-downs but it made a horrible racket at highway speeds.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap way to carry a surfboard? I want to avoid those big, heavy and expensive roof racks that mount over the top of the soft top.

Thanks,
Sam

Oh man, I'm not sure it's going to be that easy without a roof rack. Maybe someone will know better than I do though.

I used that inflatable roofrack to carry my paddle board couple of times but never at highway speed.
Also have you tried to put down the top, and place the board so the bottom is in the trunk and top over the passager rollbar? You could ratchet it to the bar

But honestly, if you're serious of doing that a lot, invest in a cheap roof rack (smittybilt for example) for about $300 you'd have a strong setup.

Hi all

I have a JK 2 door with a soft top. I tried to mount my surfboard on the roof/roll cage with a couple of ratchet tie-downs but it made a horrible racket at highway speeds.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap way to carry a surfboard? I want to avoid those big, heavy and expensive roof racks that mount over the top of the soft top.

Thanks,
Sam
I have a board bag for my sailboard. That may work for you. No noise, but I'm only getting up to 50 to got the beach nearby.

IMG_20210509_140523153_HDR.jpg

Reactions: mrjp