Best Head Unit Replacement?

Maleficent

I’m slowly piecing together a whole new sound system for a stock 2016 JK.

So far, I only have two things fully planned:

1. JL audio stealthbox with sub
2. Alpine PDF-V9 amp

Now, I have to figure out what head unit to go with. All of the ones I’ve found seem to have SOMETHING wrong with them. Based on everything I’ve read, the Alpine Halo 9 or the Alpine i207-WRA are my top two picks.

It would be nice to have Apple CarPlay and I still want to have my steering wheel controls.

I would love to hear some recommendations from those who have replaced them!
What do you like about yours and what don’t you like about it? Does the good outweigh the bad? Do you have either of the units I mentioned?

This is my first time doing any work on my sound system so any recommendations are welcome. I’m a newbie!

I installed an inexpensive deck by Dual yesterday because it gave me Apple Car Play and a few other features. If you go with Crutchfield and get their installation kits, it's an easy install. I had mine in really quickly.

Reactions: mikespine
Oh I like the look of that one a lot! Will definitely be considering it. Have you had yours for a while?

I have a similar model to Chris and have had it a for 3 ish years now and have been happy with it. I'm pretty sure Chris's model is discontinued, but I think Kenwood just adds a digit to the model number and updates one or two things, so just look through the Kenwood line and pick the features you want.

That being said, even if you don't buy from Crutchfield use their tool. To keep your steering controls you will need a canbus and they are around $100. At least they were. Crutchfield's setup tool will show you exactly what stuff you need to buy to keep everything working. For example, if you have a subwoofer, it will not work without the proper canbus, and some canbus will only allow left and right adjustment, but not fade.

Changing out your radio is super easy, just make sure you start with the right parts.

Oh I like the look of that one a lot! Will definitely be considering it. Have you had yours for a while?

I've had it for a little under a year. Believe me when I say it's awesome! Wireless CarPlay, great sound, nice interface, etc. I really like Kenwood as they make some good stuff, and this is definitely proof of that.

Hmm. must be popular, every time you've linked it it shows out of stock.

I'll have to look at it again and see if it's an upgrade to mine. The wireless sounds nice

ugg.. it is an upgrade to mine with features that I would prefer.. capacitive touch screen, wireless android auto. Hmm... I'm trying not to justify the purchase. The radio in my work vehicle is fine, I don't need to replace it with the Kenwood that is currently in the JK....

I’m having a JVC 6.8” touchscreen and backup camera installed tomorrow by Best Buy. I bought it through them, so I get a professional free install. Can’t wait to listen to it and see how the backup camera works.

Reactions: mikespine
I’m having a JVC 6.8” touchscreen and backup camera installed tomorrow by Best Buy. I bought it through them, so I get a professional free install. Can’t wait to listen to it and see how the backup camera works.
Let us know how you like it

Reactions: chiefgrego