Best gear brand to use

Garland66

Hi all! I know this is an old and repeated topic, but I am in the process of regearing my 2012 Limited Sahara and I am debating between using Yukon or Revolution gear. I have read that Yukon is tried and true, but lately have been incorporating Chinese gears that are of less quality. My Jeep use is mostly highway with a few trails here and there, but no rock crawling. The gear ratio is stock at 3.21. The previous owner installed 35' tires and a 4" lift. I have replaced a lot on her to get her up to par (fixed death wobble and a few engine mods). All the formulas say to return normal performance I need 3.55 gears. I was going to bump to 3.73, but it's really hard to find kits with "stock" gears. With that said, I am going with 4.10 gears. Any thoughts on the ratio and more importantly, the brand? Thank you!

The Jeep shop that did my gear swap dropped Yukon in favor of Revolution because of rework jobs. They had enough of them to switch. Do you still run the 35" tires? If yes, 4.56 will get you back into the normal rpm range. I went with 4.88 because I have every intention of swapping to 37s when these 35s wear out in a few years. 4.10 should be ok provided you aren't planning on towing stuff.

I've got a couple thousand miles on my new setup and it's darn perky again. Gear lube is now Royal Purple 75w140 recommended by the shop.

Reactions: 1o1Proof
👆 What this guy said, I have heard of many dropping Yukon due to failures. Revolution will get my dime when I swap gears.

The Jeep shop that did my gear swap dropped Yukon in favor of Revolution because of rework jobs. They had enough of them to switch. Do you still run the 35" tires? If yes, 4.56 will get you back into the normal rpm range. I went with 4.88 because I have every intention of swapping to 37s when these 35s wear out in a few years. 4.10 should be ok provided you aren't planning on towing stuff.

I've got a couple thousand miles on my new setup and it's darn perky again. Gear lube is now Royal Purple 75w140 recommended by the shop.
Thanks Tom! I appreciate the info on shops swapping out! The reason I chose 4.10 is the fact that I am mostly highway with limited trails. I thought about future proofing with 4.56 but I don't see myself increasing tire size or changing driving habits. The 4.10 will better suit the highway and should still be enough improvement over 3.21......although I'm still on the fence with 4.10 or 4.56...

Thanks Tom! I appreciate the info on shops swapping out! The reason I chose 4.10 is the fact that I am mostly highway with limited trails. I thought about future proofing with 4.56 but I don't see myself increasing tire size or changing driving habits. The 4.10 will better suit the highway and should still be enough improvement over 3.21......although I'm still on the fence with 4.10 or 4.56...
Get off the fence and onto the 4.56 gears. 4.10 is less than ideal for the highway. You don't have enough power and your mileage and performance will be less than they would be with the 4.56.

All the formulas say to return normal performance I need 3.55 gears
The formula is nothing more than a ratio... 35/31.5 * 3.21 = 3.57

That doesn't account for the increased weight/inertia of the heavier tires, however. That also just gets you back to the lowest numerical OEM gear with OEM tire size. If you started with a 3.73 from the factory you would need a 4.10. again, that just gets back to a theoretical OEM system. A Rubicon with a 4.10 would need a 4.56.

As others have said, it's not something you want to spend $ on again, so I think at least a 4.56 is the way to go!