Best bang for the buck lift kits

dadofral

My son has a 2011 wrangler unlimited, we would like to put a 2"-ish lift on it and some bigger tires and rims....I don't want to break the bank too much, so looking for opinions on something that will work the best that you or someone else have used....I've looked at Rough Country stuff which gets decent reviews, so give me your best advice. Thanks in advanace!

Rough Country is crap, as is Skyjacker, FabTech, etc.

Even Rubicon Express is mediocre at best (and garbage IMHO).

If you want a nice 2" lift that will last, look at AEV, Metalcloak, Clayton, or similar.

You couldn't pay me to run any of the complete shit Rough Country peddles.

Most of the lifts that Chris mentioned start in the $1000-$1500 range and that's because they're fairly complete and high quality. I would also add JKS to that group. If you're looking for a lower price point, you could install a Rancho 2" suspension which comes with most of what you need for $400-$500 depending on whether you go with standard or adjustable shocks. You need to plan for geometry correction brackets or lower control arms to bring caster back into spec or the handling and steering feel will be terrible. Another low cost option would be a leveling kit (usually around 2" front/1" rear) or a 2" spacer lift (lots of companies incl AEV make one). These are generally very inexpensive but not very complete. You may have to add brake line extensions, bump stops, or other brackets depending on how high you go and the completeness of the kit you opt for. To the spacers add a set of shocks and you'll have room for a slightly taller tire as well as a better ride and handling.

It really depends on your planned usage and desired tire size. I have on Wrangler Unlimited with a small spacer lift (1" front and 1/2" rear) and 33" tires and it's great on the street. Unfortunately, it doesn't have as much clearance as I'd like off road, so I have another Wrangler with a larger lift and bigger tires. Both are great for their intended purpose.

I have no experience with BDS but have read mixed results online. Take what you read (including my response) with a grain of salt. Some people will tell you brand A is the best and everything else is just garbage. That's simply not true. There are definitely brands that are better and some that are worse so look at brands that have a reputation for quality parts and good support. They might cost a little more up front but you'll reap the reward every time you or your son are behind the wheel. Welcome!

Thanks for your input, I do understand the quality aspect of getting it right the first time....however, we don't have the budget to spend $1500.00 on a kit plus install....so it may be wise to wait it out or just do a better leveling kit to gain a little more height.....thanks again!

Thanks for your input, I do understand the quality aspect of getting it right the first time....however, we don't have the budget to spend $1500.00 on a kit plus install....so it may be wise to wait it out or just do a better leveling kit to gain a little more height.....thanks again!

There's nothing wrong with a spacer lift as long as you care for items like brake line extensions, bumpstop extensions, and caster correction. Spacers just lose out to lift springs with regards to articulation (many lift springs are designed to allow additional droop) and load capacity (almost all use a higher spring rate which allows you to carry more gear without losing ride height). Also, I recommend new shocks as they have a big impact on ride quality. I really like the ride of our JKU with spacers and RS9000's.

What are your desired amount of lift and tire size?

There's nothing wrong with a spacer lift as long as you care for items like brake line extensions, bumpstop extensions, and caster correction. Spacers just lose out to lift springs with regards to articulation (many lift springs are designed to allow additional droop) and load capacity (almost all use a higher spring rate which allows you to carry more gear without losing ride height). Also, I recommend new shocks as they have a big impact on ride quality. I really like the ride of our JKU with spacers and RS9000's.

What are your desired amount of lift and tire size?

I checked into the Rancho and the price seems reasonable, for four shocks, coil springs, etc. I don't mind shelling out up to $750 for a decent kit....desired lift of 2" and just to run some 33's for the tires.....my oldest son has a 2012 JK with more of a lift running 35's, so we are looking into taking the stock 2011 my second oldest drives and giving it more of that rugged look and something he can take in the sand dunes, etc. I'd really like to avoid adjusting brake lines and all that if possible....appreciate all your input so far.

This is the rancho kit I found:

But would I need anything more than this?? My sons and I are pretty savvy fixing things and doing add ons, but we've never done a lift kit, hence all my questions.

I would wait and get a decent system.
I will also mention, if you have the time, you can install a lift kit yourself. It's not hard at all, a monkey could do it. It will also save you 1,000 to 2,000 dollars.

Reactions: franka548
This is the rancho kit I found:

But would I need anything more than this?? My sons and I are pretty savvy fixing things and doing add ons, but we've never done a lift kit, hence all my questions.

That's the kit I installed on my wife's JKU. We saw 2.5" lift front and 1.5" rear, plenty of room for 33's. Know that the front springs are the same free length as stock and achieve height from being stiffer. Brake line extension brackets are for the rear and are 2 bolts to install. The only thing you'll need to add are either longer (or adjustable) front lower control arms or geometry correction brackets to correct caster. I also think that a spacer lift like the AEV or Teraflex leveling kit are fine if you want a softer ride and don't need to carry as much of a load. Just my opinion. I know a lot of guys advocate for a more complete/higher cost lift but it depends on intended use. I enjoy my wife's JKU on the street over my JK with either Mopar or Synergy lift.

Thanks again, seems like we will need more than just the kit itself....this is all good stuff and hopefully we can put it to good use.

I may be the only one, but buying a lift kit is the most confusing thing I have tried to do. I go to 4WP, dealer and local shop and I cannot compare apples to apples. Even reading forums I don't know what to do or where to go. Very frustrating. Ugh.

Save your money and wait until you can afford the better brands that Chris mentioned. We were like you. We wanted a lift bad and didn't have the money for a good one so we went with RC. I even mentioned to the shop that I was leary of the RC not being a good lift but they assured me it was good. How I wish we had waited. It is ok and got us the lift for bigger tires, but man it is a very rough ride! You feel every little bump and pot hole, and we have plenty of them here in SC. Save the money for a good one.

Reactions: Mjmsi and mrjp
Rough Country is crap, as is Skyjacker, FabTech, etc.

Even Rubicon Express is mediocre at best (and garbage IMHO).

If you want a nice 2" lift that will last, look at AEV, Metalcloak, Clayton, or similar.

You couldn't pay me to run any of the complete shit Rough Country peddles.
Which one would you choose first, metal cloak or AEV? Both are expensive but seem like they invested in technology. For an 07 jk 2 door. Want to run 35in on 17x10 with 4.5in back space or lower, to get aggressive stance.

Which one would you choose first, metal cloak or AEV? Both are expensive but seem like they invested in technology. For an 07 jk 2 door. Want to run 35in on 17x10 with 4.5in back space or lower, to get aggressive stance.
I can only speak to my personal experience and that is that I have the AEV 3.5" suspension lift on my JK and have been very, very satisfied with it.

Reactions: Mjmsi and mrjp
Just went on a ride with our club and a guy has metalcloak on his and is very happy. He said it rides great on road.
If you are a member of a local club, see if anyone with one of these will let you ride in theirs for a first hand experience.

Just went on a ride with our club and a guy has metalcloak on his and is very happy. He said it rides great on road.
If you are a member of a local club, see if anyone with one of these will let you ride in theirs for a first hand experience.
Good idea. I'm not currently in a club, but I like your idea.

Save your money and wait until you can afford the better brands that Chris mentioned. We were like you. We wanted a lift bad and didn't have the money for a good one so we went with RC. I even mentioned to the shop that I was leary of the RC not being a good lift but they assured me it was good. How I wish we had waited. It is ok and got us the lift for bigger tires, but man it is a very rough ride! You feel every little bump and pot hole, and we have plenty of them here in SC. Save the money for a good one.
Sorry, i just saw your comment. I'm leaning toward AEV. I think it suits my use best.

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
got old man emu on my 1 gen tacoma with dakar leafs... lik'em so much im gonna upgrade my stock suspension with OME. one of the best budget lifts around for the $.

Reactions: Mjmsi