Best all-terrains for snow

Keatsmageats

Tried looking to see if there were any past forums on this or not and I can't find anything. I'm looking for a set of tires that will be better than average in the snow but still hold up for some casual off-roading and abuse. Currently have Toyo Open Country A/T II. I'm considering a fresh pair of those but I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience with the A/T III? Or any other tire that has done them well?

Loaded question, asking about tires. Just be patient, you will get a Sea of Love in response. ( Snow Rated LT Wrangler Duratrac).
P1010070.JPG

I have to say i have always gone with all terrains until i purchased this jku and it has Yokohama geolander M/T tires. I am amazed how quiet and nice they drive on the highway for a mud terrain tire.

I have a set of MT Baja's on the JKU, but on my truck I have some snow rated Faulkner Wildpeak AT3's. The Wildpeaks are unbelievable in the snow and I will be putting a set on the jeep

I won’t say they’re the ‘best’ because I’ve only experienced two brands / styles of tires with my Jeeps in snow. One was the Firestone AT and the current set on my JK, which are Toyo Open Country RT.

From what I recall, the Firestone AT was a really great tire in all weather conditions. However, I never took those off-road so I can’t give feedback there. On the other hand, the Toyos have been great in the snow but questionable in rain. Maybe it has something to do with the width?

Future forward, when it’s time to refresh, I’m likely to go with either GoodYear Duratrac (I have those on a TJ, but never been in snow) or the Cooper STT Pro. Even considered Patagonia MT’s. Though, they’d be lowest on the list.

Best of luck. It’s def a tough choice.

Reactions: Keatsmageats
I have Nitto Trail Grapplers and they have been pretty good. However, Duratracs on my previous 2 JK's were great in snow, but the sidewalls are more prone to damage. Absolutely a great winter tire, tho.

Reactions: Nericson
Move where it doesn't snow and a couple things happen- a single set of tires means more room in the garage for the wife to store shit, she'll be happy. Happy wife means you get laid more, or she lets you go "casual off-roading" more often, which is more fun when there's no snow on the ground. Because getting laid by an unhappy wife in the snow is the worst. It all comes full circle, my friend.

I guess i will really find out how these yokohama geolanders do in the snow maybe this year still, just started contract on a home and moving from So Cal to Montana in a couple months.

Reactions: mrjp
Update: debated Duratracs and Toyo A/T IIIs for a while, and eventually went with the Toyo's because I found a good deal. So far have been great in the snow, took them from Montana to Utah through Idaho during a light snowstorm, and they were like magic compared to my old tires. So far have a little over 700 miles on them, I'll update this again after a few months of wear.

Reactions: mrjp