Battery Group Size

Duster

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Can someone identify the battery group size for the 2016 Rubicon? I have a Hard Rock edition with the original MOPAR battery - now seven years old. Just recently I've run into situations after a short run where the starter just grunts. I have a jumper that works, so while it has been awkward, it hasn't been a problem. But . . . I started looking for a new battery (AGM), and while the dimensions are nearest a Group Size 46 the dimensions are not an exact match, at least not according to my tape measure. Another thing I could use some information about is practical options for preserving the computer settings. I'm not concerned about radio stations, but would really prefer not to have to do in-depth resets of more critical data.

About everywhere here says Group 48
Thanks. That's what I found. The dimensions on the battery are slightly different than the dimensions listed for battery group sizes, which is what puzzled me. I tried looking for Jeep specifications for the OEM battery, but hadn't found anything from Jeep. My repair manuals lack the information as well.

Thanks. That's what I found. The dimensions on the battery are slightly different than the dimensions listed for battery group sizes, which is what puzzled me. I tried looking for Jeep specifications for the OEM battery, but hadn't found anything from Jeep. My repair manuals lack the information as well.
Got a tape measure? Or a ruler?

Reactions: Duster
Got a tape measure? Or a ruler?
I used a tape measure I keep in the center console. That's how I found that the dimensions of the battery appear slightly off spec. I posted because the last time I had to change out a battery was around 1993. Things have changed since then, and there is precious little space under the hood on newer vehicles.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Final results. I installed an AGM 94R. The old battery is "technically" a 48, and the small add-in spacer for the 48 size was in the tray. The 94 is a tight fit.