Backup camera options for a 2017 Wrangler JKU

Day Tripper

I've had my 2017 Wrangle JKU Sahara for about two weeks now and I and the misses would like a backup camera. The JK has the 6.1 headset with Nav.
I'm seeing a lot of options and I was going to go with the Mopar version but would also like to not break the bank doing this.
I'm not worried about installing the camera and wiring but I am when it comes to doing something with the OBDII. Now, I do have an Ancel FX4000 that I'm going to learn how to use but not there yet and the manufacture tells me I will not be able to activate the backup camera with it.

So, to start I'd like to ask what you have found to be the best backup camera (with parking space guides) for a 2017 Wrangler JKU and if I need to use the OBDII to activate the backup camera which code reader would be best for a learner? Is there an easy to follow guide for doing this.

I went with the Alpine ALP-HRN-CAMCH Camera Input Harness for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with Factory Radio for $20 and
Alpine Rear View Camera System (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK)
Item# J131742 for $200. The dealership charged me $35 to code the radio. Easy installation but does NOT have the parking grid. The camera kit is nice because it is adjustable for a custom spare. Does everything I want it to and I don't miss the grid

Reactions: Chris
With my stock (non-nav unit), I used the Alpine ALP-HRN-CAMCH harness and a $10 camera. I drilled a hole in the center of the stock (and my AEV) bumper for mounting. It had grid lines but did not curve when turning the steering wheel.

I activated the camera using the JScan app ($35?) and a decent obdii dongle that I already had. This combo has worked great for me.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
I see there are many options for adding a back up camera. Some are very inexpensive and others are on the pricy side. I have no experience with OBDII's and don't want to just experiment so I think I'm going to go with Alpine HCE-RCAM-WRA Spare Tire Rear View Camera and the SGS-CH01 Camera Interface. Pricy but it is plug and play and the camera is HDR.

Thanks for the info on what has worked for you.

Take a look at rear view mirror cameras on Amazon. If you have a large spare then these are crucial and extremely helpful.

Reactions: mrjp
I recommend looking at rear view mirror cameras on Amazon. If you have a large spare then these are extremely helpful and install over the existing mirror.