Axle upgrade opinions

Willys14jk

So I want to run sticky’s on the JK. I’ve got 2 different options so far going forward. I don’t want to throw a set of junkyard 1 tons under there if I can avoid it, even though it is obviously the cheapest route. Option 1: Id like to run a set of Ford 9” front and rear which will definitely be enough axle for the 39’s I want to run but would also run me 12-14k. Or option 2: I keep the current axle setup (PR44/JK44) and run a floater conversion front and rear. Either way I’d have to change bolt pattern which isn’t a big deal. I’m just curious if it’s worth doing the floater kit or just going straight to the 9’s front and rear. 38’s seem to be the max for the current 44’s so I’m just looking to see if anyone knows if the FF conversion would make a difference in the small change in size and tire composition?

I plan on swapping the chromos I’ve got up front to RCV’s if I stick with the axles I’ve got. The rear has chromo 35 spline shafts. I’m just concerned with the sticky compound of the Red labels breaking things more than the weight of the tires.

Option 1: Id like to run a set of Ford 9” front and rear which will definitely be enough axle for the 39’s I want to run but would also run me 12-14k.
I highly recommend you look into Spidertrax axles. Spidertrax axles are built off a ford 9 inch design but are of far superior design and improvements. They offer a full float axle and you can use a 10 inch ring gear third member as a low pinion or a high pinion. I went with their 3.5 inch tube and their chromoly housing. You wont find a better axle on the market.

Miller Motorsports has JK bolt in Spidertrax axles.

I am running Gear Works high pinion 10 inch third member.

I highly recommend you look into Spidertrax axles. Spidertrax axles are built off a ford 9 inch design but are of far superior design and improvements. They offer a full float axle and you can use a 10 inch ring gear third member as a low pinion or a high pinion. I went with their 3.5 inch tube and their chromoly housing. You wont find a better axle on the market.

Miller Motorsports has JK bolt in Spidertrax axles.

I am running Gear Works high pinion 10 inch third member.
Yeah spidertrax or the Miller motorsports axles that use spidertrax parts are what I’m looking at going with.

Last edited:
I can also say that with spidertrax, they produce and manufacture every part that ties the axle together in-house. So all the parts fit together and are all made to fit together.

The only reason I went with the spidertrax vs Dynatrac, Crane, or Solid Axle Ind was based on the measurement from the axle centerline to outermost axle housing point being the shortest of the four. I would like to retain a under tub gas tank while also stretching my rear wheelbase as far as possible.

I ruled Currie Enterprises out based on their choosing to send their axle castings over to China for production. Although they carry quite the reputation in the rock crawling world for building world class axle housings. And their rockjock high pinions are very nice.

Another great option worth mentioning is the TrailGear Rock Assault 9 inch housings. They still utilize full float unit bearings and can be built for prob half the cost of a spider 9 and still be a really nice axle upgrade. Everything can be bought from Trailgear to build a full float 9 inch or 10 inch. I’ll build one for another Jeep sometime.