Axle shaft rubbing against stub shaft

Jermbob28

JK Enthusiast
I have an ultimate dana 44 front axle. The last few times I have wheeled I get a binding sound coming from the front axle. When taking a close look I found that my axle shaft is rubbing against the stub shaft near the ujoint. See the picture below. Any idea what could cause this? Steering stops are tack welded in place, only happens in 4wd while turning and on unlevel ground, totally normal in 2wd at full lock. 1350 Ujoints look good as far as caps in place, seals look good and full rings still in place. It has happen on the driver and passenger side, seems to be different times though. Axle only has about 34k on it.

Any pointers on what could be causing this? Thank you!

CE4CB7E1-3A22-4B0A-9517-DB5845BBA8BE.jpeg

Last edited:
In 2wd the axle shafts are not turning so it's not going to do that, but in 4x4 the shaft is turning. Jack the front axle up and have someone turn the wheel had while you look at the stop and turn the wheel.

My guess you'll need to adjust the stop, or maybe a balljoint is bad causing to much movement.

I thought they turn but are not under load. I believe the Jls added the electric disconnect for the front axle to save some mpg right?

Later today when I get home I was going to do that and have my wife steer it for me. I am assuming you’d have to cut the welds adjust and tack again?

Last edited:
Your right I was thinking about my real 4x4's that have lockout hubs. The axle shafts will still turn but not loaded.

I'll bet you'll have to adjust the stops or check your balljoints for wear.

Reactions: Jermbob28
I checked the ball joints a little while ago for play and they were fine. I have some flighty steering too. Track bar, drag link, tie rod are all new. No wallowed bolt holes, ball joints do not seem to have play at all. Currently sitting at a shop getting the caster checked by another shop to make sure the shop that set it the first time got it close to 6 degrees. The flighty behavior started after I swapped axles.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I was able to jack it up and have my wife steer to full lock. At full lock knuckles were still a 1/4” from the stops. I’ll have to adjust them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLACKJKU