Auto Trans stuck in park

MrC

Started the jeep this morning, cranked up fine but gave a check engine light. The system check says ok, and it will not display any codes. The gear indicator on dash shows the vehicle in every gear at once, and the shifter will not move out of park. If i manually override that, the vehicle will move, but in limp mode or whatever. Reverse lights do not come on. When in park the e-brake light is flashing when it’s engaged (usually only flashes when put into gear).

2017 Wrangler JK, auto trans 27xxx miles

Not a toy, this is just my daily driver, so it is bone stock and has seen basically no off road abuse.

Last time i drove, everything worked perfectly. I park on a slight incline at home, so i put it in neutral and pull the e-brake, let the weight rest on that and then put it in park. I checked fuses, disconnected/reconnected the battery, and nothing. Maybe unrelated, but last time i started it i tried to use the wipers before enough ice was off the windshield and the wipers stopped halfway up, and now will not work at all. the related fuses were not blown.

anyone have any idea what the heck is the deal?? Thanks

You might start out with cleaning the battery clamps and cable ends and any other grounds you can find. A bad connection can cause alot of problems.

Reactions: mrjp
Wanted to give an update incase anyone else encounters similar issues.

The TPIM failed, causing the wipers to stop. That is a $760~ replacement at my local dealership. I was told that the wipers are designed NOT to blow a fuse, but instead fry the entire TPIM.

The TCU also failed, somehow simultaneously. The tech thinks that somehow liquid got into it. I was told that a drink must have spilled in my cup holders, which are apparently situated directly over the liquid-sensitive TCU. They quoted me $460 to replace that unit.

So, including the diagnostic fee it is roughly $1400 in damage that occurred while the Jeep was sitting in my driveway 👍🏻