Anyone have a dual gas tank?

Meatman

Been looking at GenRight tanks for my JK and finding everyone has stumbling points installing them. Seems strange that they dont have the design down right yet. (unless they are trying to remain universal to other builds- and not tell anyone). Does anyone have any experience? or suggestions of another brand/builder? Thanks!

image001.jpg

Dan Grec of The Road Chose Me, has driven a Jeep from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego and didn't need an extra gas tank. He also drove his Jeep 40,000+ miles around Africa and said he could get gas everywhere within his 300 mile range.
Here in Arizona it is damn difficult to off road long enough on a trip to travel 300 miles and run out of gas.
So the question is, why do you want an extra tank?

Reactions: Meatman and mrjp
Dear Mr. Shatto, wow! Point well taken. I hate those outside red containers so much, my interest was to do better. Sounds like I should invest in H2O. Lol.
We had to get there and back so we carried lots of fuel, but that was in the 1960s, on safari, in Ethiopia. The Series II Land Rover had a gigantic tool box under the passenger seat that was easily replaced with the standard size gas tank
I began carrying two of those despicable, leaky and smelly, shite red plastic gas cans from WalMart.

944503_10151638013304524_539271231_n.jpg
then it occurred that I never used one of them and gas does weigh 6lb/gal so it stays home and now there is more room in my JK for the Costco run. However, gas is now almost $4.00 in Arizona, so I'll probably bring it back when I travel a long distance between cheaper gas stations.
H2O is a good plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest with you, I think a larger gas tank is 100% unnecessary unless you have a very special use case. I wheel all the time in some pretty remote locations with the factory fuel tank and I've never once been close to the gas running out and leaving me stranded. Personally I'd be more concerned with bringing along extra water.