Anyone add a catch can?

Adding one isn't bad idea. I was skeptical of them, but having looked into it, it appears they do indeed work on most vehicles.

Adding one isn't bad idea. I was skeptical of them, but having looked into it, it appears they do indeed work on most vehicles.

I was never aware that a gasoline vehicle ever had that problem, thought that was what the PCV took care of.

I was never aware that a gasoline vehicle ever had that problem, thought that was what the PCV took care of.
Right, my thinking too. And which is why you’d change them out from time to time back in ‘the day’. But as with many things these days, obsolescence seems to be the way engineers plan and build.

Right, my thinking too. And which is why you’d change them out from time to time back in ‘the day’. But as with many things these days, obsolescence seems to be the way engineers plan and build.

I know that the 3.6's need a vacuum pump which is weird for a Gas engine, both of my diesels do because a diesel only produces boost.

I check my PCV once every spring, seems to be fairly clean and operational on my 3.8. Throttle body is always clean. In the really old days, did they not just vent the gases to the road?

Yea that makes sense now that he's explaining it's just trying to remove the oil. A older engine with higher miles would benefit from that.

just install two oil separators (catch can) on my 2017 JK two door. Why two, I have a Sprintex Supercharger installed. One on the PVC to intake side and the other on the clean air inlet to air filter box side because of engine blow by created by the supercharger.

Sprintex Supercharger
IMG_1414.JPG

PVC Side
PVC Oil Separator Lines.JPG

Attached on PCM/Clean air side (see UNI 1/2" ID filter UP-103 aboue with 90 degree elbow attached to 1/2" hose.)
PCV Intake Oil Separator Lines.JPG

PCV Intake Oil Separator.JPG

Reactions: mrjp
Well that's what I thought as well, yet everything I keep reading is saying they do work? I'm confused :LOL:
With a stock setup the PCV work fine but if you start adding mods things change. Installing a supercharger or turbo you can get blow by and the vacum to the PCV is greater too. see post where I installed 2 catch cans.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
I have added a catch can to my 1997 and 2015 Corvettes and between oil changes it collects about 3 ounces of oil that would normally be drawn back into the combustion chamber. Does it do any good? I would say yes. There are arguments both ways so it is your choice. I haven't put one on my JK and probably won't.