Any suggestions for rust protection on frame?

napcop

Disclaimer- I know rust is inevitable, just trying to slow it down.

Having said that, anyone have good suggestions for light frame rust & underbody salt protection on a 2017 JK Rubicon? Considering Rustoleum rust restorer And also considering taking it to a shop for X-liner or similar protective coating.

Thoughts from anyone who has done either of these 2 options?

I can say that most of the coatings will make it worse. If you watch South Main Auto on YouTube he has a few videos with undercoated vehicles in it, and every time they are a disaster. The rust builds up under the coating and you can’t see it. He uses stuff called fluid film that seems to work pretty well, Project Farm did a good comparison with it. It’s just a spray can but will need to be reapplied yearly.

Did you personally use it? If so, did you apply it yourself? I have a buddy who owns a body shop and I'm thinking it may be well spent few cases of beer to have him do it for me.
Yes sir I did. POR 15 is tough as hell..... can hardly even scratch it without getting a grinder. Mind you, I used it on bare steel for a loft in my shop. At the same time I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my Jeep and probably will in the future.

Also, I didn't use the POR-15 brand prep supplies in my shop. Brakleen was good enough in there (no elements to worry about).

Disclaimer- I know rust is inevitable, just trying to slow it down.

Having said that, anyone have good suggestions for light frame rust & underbody salt protection on a 2017 JK Rubicon? Considering Rustoleum rust restorer And also considering taking it to a shop for X-liner or similar protective coating.

Thoughts from anyone who has done either of these 2 options?
I had Line-X do an undercoating and a rust inhibitor. Cost me $500.

I use Corroseal then POR 15 for rustier cars. I am not a fan of Fluid Film.

I have also used Rustoleum rust restorer, which is good. I love Rustoleum rusty red metal primer - that stuff sticks to everything.

The big issue with Por 15 is 1) cost - $$ and 2) do NOT get it on your hands or anything you want to wear again - it does NOT come off. Wear gloves.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepLuvr1954
fluid film smells awful, never really dries, is messy to put on, and does not last that long. It is good for injecting into the frame if you want to rust proof from the inside, but I would still wire brush and coat the outside with POR 15.

Reactions: JeepLuvr1954