Any recommendations on a good air compressor?

@RhinoRob May be overkill for you but:
The best electric compressor out there is the Oasis: https://www.oasismfg.com/ which uses a large, (think starter sized) motor to drive a modified York style 10 C.I. displacement twin cylinder compressor and is capable of "shop air" pressures & volume. It requires direct connection to the car battery and I would recommend you have the engine running because of the high current demand. Otherwise an OBA solution using the same York compressor driven by the engine fan belt would be best of all. You'll be able to fill four 37" tires in under a minute a piece from 5 or 6 P.S.I. trail pressures to 35 P.S.I. road pressure. Again, that's all four in about 4 to 5 minutes and with a receiver drier installed, you can even TIG weld or run shop tools such as impact guns and air grinders. I have had York compressor based OBA on the last 3 Jeeps and I can say for certain: "Nothing beats OBA.... Period."

Reactions: BLACKJKU
You used to be able to get a kit to install those old York compressors on alot of different engines years ago if I remember right.

Resurrection:

I ditched my Harbor Freight compressor, as it wouldn't take each tire above 26psi after 4 to 5 min. I got a GSPCN 150psi, 70L/min dual compressor from Amazon for $50 (on a Limited Time offer, usually $62).

I considered getting a Smittybuilt or Viair one, but my cheap-assness got the best of me and decided to try this out. It inflated each tire from 18 to 32 psi in about 2.25-2.5 min each. Not bad at all for the money. One day when I can make it rain, or I learn my lesson when this Made in China compressor breaks, I'll get a Smittybuilt or Viair.

But, for you budget-minded Jeep owners wanna try this one - this seems to work well. If it craps out on me in under a year, I'll update. But it got pretty good reviews (over 5,200) on Amazon. Make sure you get the one with the rounded housing. They come in silver, red or grey.

IMG_20220329_185154.jpg

Reactions: mrjp
I used the 5.65 cfm smittybilt for years and it was good (quicker that other portable ones I had used) and decently priced. Then I moved to 38” tires and I upgraded to the dual arb compressor and love it.

Reactions: 72c10
And yes @BLACKJKU there were a few companies around that you could get York compressor kits from. Kilby Enterprises was one of the players back in the early mid 2000's that had kits for different applications and I bought some parts from him to do my OBA kit at one of the off-road shows. Other niceties' are on board welders such as Premier Power that I consider important if going into the hinterlands far from civilization.
Since selling the JKUR a year ago,
I have decided to adapt the York 210 OBA I took off of my TJ rock crawler when I sold it and adapt it to my CJ Cummins 4BT diesel engine. OBA is best of all if you can afford it with a hand throttle RPM control FWIW. There's nothing like the performance of a shop compressor under the hood if you need to weld, grind or seat beads on large tires. Also great for airing up water toys at the lake or river and large double height air mattresses when out camping.

However, not everyone needs shop air performance so the common brands mentioned above are still pretty good options for air. I had a friend who had a Viair that was mounted in an aluminum briefcase looking box. He used it for years in the 1990's before he decided to permanently mount it on his fender under the hood. It was nice because you could move the portable unit between vehicles if the Jeep was left at home and you took say for example, the grocery getter Cherokee etc...

It is always good to have a receiver dryer on your air system even if it is electric driven to prevent filling your rims with moist wet air that will corrode and rust rims etc. Over time if you air up and deflate your tires enough, a surprisingly large amount of moisture can get trapped in your tires if this isn't addressed.

OBA is still relevant today to anyone who goes camping or off-road much as ever before.

RR

Reactions: mrjp
Resurrection:

I ditched my Harbor Freight compressor, as it wouldn't take each tire above 26psi after 4 to 5 min. I got a GSPCN 150psi, 70L/min dual compressor from Amazon for $50 (on a Limited Time offer, usually $62).

I considered getting a Smittybuilt or Viair one, but my cheap-assness got the best of me and decided to try this out. It inflated each tire from 18 to 32 psi in about 2.25-2.5 min each. Not bad at all for the money. One day when I can make it rain, or I learn my lesson when this Made in China compressor breaks, I'll get a Smittybuilt or Viair.

But, for you budget-minded Jeep owners wanna try this one - this seems to work well. If it craps out on me in under a year, I'll update. But it got pretty good reviews (over 5,200) on Amazon. Make sure you get the one with the rounded housing. They come in silver, red or grey.

View attachment 120873
Smittybilt is China