Any idea what this PIAA box is for my headlights?

JKTimmah

Supporting Member
So, I was checking out my LED bulbs this evening. They appear to be PIAA and have this box in-line with the harness. Any idea what it is? I thought maybe it was for flickering, but they had a flicker until I made changes with the J-Scan app (HID & LED settings).

T

PXL_20201025_233956749.jpg

PXL_20201025_234027056.jpg

PXL_20201025_234013419.jpg

Are you sure they are LEDs and not HIDs? That looks like an HID ballast to me.

Not really. I've never had HIDs before. I was going by a receipt in the PO's records. It had "LED Headlights" handwritten on it. They may not have known either though. All work/service to the vehicle was done by shops/dealers. I don't think they did anything themselves, lol.

They have a large heatsink with a fan, do HIDs have that as well? I'm going to pull the bulbs this next weekend to investigate further.

Thanks!
T

Not really. I've never had HIDs before. I was going by a receipt in the PO's records. It had "LED Headlights" handwritten on it. They may not have known either though. All work/service to the vehicle was done by shops/dealers. I don't think they did anything themselves, lol.

They have a large heatsink with a fan, do HIDs have that as well? I'm going to pull the bulbs this next weekend to investigate further.

Thanks!
T

Pull the bulbs and post photos, if they are HIDs it will be very easy to identify.

If they have a heatsink with a fan though, they are likely LED bulbs and those boxes are ballasts for the LEDs, as they are likely a higher output LED.

Reactions: Gunkel and mrjp