Any experience with this RT Off-Road big brake kit?

FLCoastJK

I am looking to do a brake upgrade on my Rubicon in advance of adding more weight and my 35's. Looking at options, I see a few routes. There are big brake kits that add larger rotors but retain the stock calipers. Other kits add larger rotors and multi-piston calipers, but are of course more expensive.

I found this front kit that has bigger rotors and dual piston calipers. Their back kit uses the stock calipers.

Does anyone have this kit or want to weigh in on how much of a difference a multi-piston caliper would really help? Or are larger rotors and stock calipers enough?

RT OFF-ROAD BIG BRAKE KIT​

My JK has the Teraflex big brake kit on it when I bought it, it has the dual piston calipers. Just my opinion the bigger rotors are just bigger rotors and not a big brake kit without the dual piston calipers. The dual piston calipers put more force on the brake pads then the single.

Reactions: mrjp
My JK has the Teraflex big brake kit on it when I bought it, it has the dual piston calipers. Just my opinion the bigger rotors are just bigger rotors and not a big brake kit without the dual piston calipers. The dual piston calipers put more force on the brake pads then the single.
Does it have the kit in the front and rear, or just the front. I was a bit worried that dual pistons up front and singles in the rear would act weird, I would think you would have to adjust a proportioning valve. New to Jeeps, maybe it auto adjusts.

Does it have the kit in the front and rear, or just the front. I was a bit worried that dual pistons up front and singles in the rear would act weird, I would think you would have to adjust a proportioning valve. New to Jeeps, maybe it auto adjusts.

I'm pretty sure just in the front on mine, and from the research I did all the kits are only dual on the front. Your front brakes do most of the braking and there's no need to change the PV.

The big brake kits are the same brakes that are on the 2002 Dodge 1500 trucks, what I also found out.

IRC, I think the Crown kit is a rebranded RT kit. I bought the Crown kit for the front last fall and a few weeks later I bought the teraflex rears, just because. I also bought the J8 MC & Booster, but it was on back order for a couple of months, havent installed it yet.

I have a '16, so it already has a larger MC bore, and the pedal feel isn't too bad. Earlier JK owners complained about a really soft pedal.

I also have a Viair air compressor mounted in front of the booster - another reason I've put off switching.

I looked at Blaine's kit but at the time I didn't want the MC & Booster. With mine, I still don't feel it's necessary but I will eventually install it.

I am TOTALLY satisfied with the quality of the Crown kit. The only unique part is the caliper bracket. YMMV.

IRC, I think the Crown kit is a rebranded RT kit. I bought the Crown kit for the front last fall and a few weeks later I bought the teraflex rears, just because. I also bought the J8 MC & Booster, but it was on back order for a couple of months, havent installed it yet.

I have a '16, so it already has a larger MC bore, and the pedal feel isn't too bad. Earlier JK owners complained about a really soft pedal.

I also have a Viair air compressor mounted in front of the booster - another reason I've put off switching.
I think you are correct, if you look at the Crown kit versus the RT, the stock image is exactly the same, lol. I also have a 2016, so going with the RT front kit first, rears to follow. This Jeep game is getting expensive already, and addicting...

I think you are correct, if you look at the Crown kit versus the RT, the stock image is exactly the same, lol. I also have a 2016, so going with the RT front kit first, rears to follow. This Jeep game is getting expensive already, and addicting...
Yup, just looked at the instructions that came with it... In big letters across the top it says RT Off Road. :)

I'm pretty sure just in the front on mine, and from the research I did all the kits are only dual on the front. Your front brakes do most of the braking and there's no need to change the PV.

The big brake kits are the same brakes that are on the 2002 Dodge 1500 trucks, what I also found out.
Maybe a stupid question, but I assume on the 2002 1500's, these were the front brakes? I am a huge Akebono fan and wanting to get those pads to put on the RT kit when I install it.

Yes, these calipers are the same as the 1500. To be honest, the ones that come in the kit, combined with the dual piston caliper, really improved the stopping distance on my 2dr. Minimal brake dust from what I can tell (but black rims hide it pretty good anyway).

@JerryD Just got my new Akebono pads for the 1500 calipers, but the pads aren't the same as the ones that came with the big brake kit. I think they might source the calipers, but the brackets that move the caliper away have the slots where the pads sit might be custom. The Akebono pads are longer and have a different tab on the ends. Now to track down what pads they used for that kit. Any insight?

Brakes.jpg

I looked up what the 68157611AA caliper fits (which is what I understand the p/N to be). It looks like it's 2007+ 1500. I should have been more specific when I answered, sorry about that. The bracket surely is custom to fit the Wrangler.

There is a big thread on another wrangler forum that has a lot of detail and matches what my experience has been.

I found the install manual and it lists the replacement brake pad numbers. Agreed, they look to be off 2007+ 1500 as you stated. I got new pads on the way and am excited to finally get to put the kit on the Jeep.

Just a heads up... When I installed mine, the bracket was extremely close to the caliper. I installed a washer between the caliper bracket and the knuckle, which gave the caliper bracket about an 1/8" clearance. Might want to have some on hand in case the clearance is too tight for your tastes.

Just a heads up... When I installed mine, the bracket was extremely close to the caliper. I installed a washer between the caliper bracket and the knuckle, which gave the caliper bracket about an 1/8" clearance. Might want to have some on hand in case the clearance is too tight for your tastes.
@JerryD Got my kit installed this weekend and should have listened to you. The caliper bracket is indeed too close to the rotor when installed. I had to make a quick run to Ace Hardware to pick up some washers for my install. At least I had the bolt in hand so was able to get a washer that perfectly fit.

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD
@JerryD Got my kit installed this weekend and should have listened to you. The caliper bracket is indeed too close to the rotor when installed. I had to make a quick run to Ace Hardware to pick up some washers for my install. At least I had the bolt in hand so was able to get a washer that perfectly fit.
Why should you be any different than my wife & kids? 😛

Glad you got it installed. Did you do the Booster & master cylinder, too?

• Haha
Why should you be any different than my wife & kids? 😛

Glad you got it installed. Did you do the Booster & master cylinder, too?
Too funny, I get it.

I didn't install the booster and master cylinder as I thought it already had the larger pieces stock on the 2016 Rubicon.

I believe on our 2016's they are larger than pre-2012's (?) but the J8 master cylinder is slightly larger yet. The J8 booster is DEFINITELY bigger. I have the parts, but I haven't installed them. The booster will likely make a bigger difference in pedal "feel", but I don't think it's bad as it is now. If I had larger tires, I might think differently.