Any advice on adding a throttle response controller on my Jeep Wrangler JK?

Venepaisano

Hey guys, any recommendations or input whether it’s worth adding a throttle response controller to my wrangler 2007 ? Essentially I want to get better gas mileage since it’s my daily but also for longer trips. Thank you guys in advance .

ps is it easy to install?

Don't believe it will give any better MPG's, just makes the gas pedal more responsive so it feels like it has more power. Just unplug the connector at the gas pedal and plug the adapter in from the controller then the other connector.

Don't believe it will give any better MPG's, just makes the gas pedal more responsive so it feels like it has more power. Just unplug the connector at the gas pedal and plug the adapter in from the controller then the other connector.
Thank you, seems pretty easy from your explanation.. In regards to MPG, wouldn’t the throttle change would usually increase it? I’m currently getting about 14.5 MPG

Thank you, seems pretty easy from your explanation.. In regards to MPG, wouldn’t the throttle change would usually increase it? I’m currently getting about 14.5 MPG

The only thing that the throttle controller controls is the butterfly on the throttle body, makes it open faster when you push the gas pedal down.

Maybe you need a tune up, have you put different size tires on it?

yea I have bigger tires on it plus a new heavy rear/ front bumper and the side step so I’m sure all of that has something to do with my low MPG

Also, if it is an automatic transmission you have to adjust the speedometer or the computer will not shift correctly.

That being said, I have a 9-drive throttle controller on mine and I love it. There is a thread about them on these forums. It's the cheap version of the pedal commander. Does the same stuff for 1/6 the cost.

I have a 2009 jeep 3.8L - so similar to yours. I am getting 17mpg and about 20mpg highway. I was getting terrible gas mileage and then got shuddering and a CEL - had a bad fuel injector. replaced that and did a tune up - happy now.

If you just got it, I would certainly pull the plugs and if you are pulling them you might as well replace them. I would swear mine were still original with 150K plus miles - ouch. I also changed the plug wires and ignition coil pack. I did other things but those are the biggies.

I also changed my radiator cap when I discovered I was mysteriously losing coolant and thankfully that solved it.

I guess what I am saying is that if you bought an older jeep - presumably with higher miles - you should just go through it up front so no surprises.

You can download a phone app called OBD JScan which will allow you to change the programming for your wheel size. You also need a bluetooth ODB2 device, but it's not very expensive and worked great.

the 9Drive or Pedal Commander just makes the Jeep more fun to drive and much less annoying when trying to accelerate into traffic or up hills. the stock throttle response is horrible, and this lets you tune it.

Thank you so much , that helps out a lot. I did majority of the fluid replacement like the transfer, oil, diff and transmission but haven’t done the coolant . I’ll look into changing out the ignition coil pack and the spark plugs, just saw a video on it and it didn’t look too difficult. Just have to label everything . Anything else that could help with mileage?

Reactions: Mjmsi
I also cleaned the throttle body - not hard. Now at least I kind of have a baseline for where I'm at. Get the JScan app - pretty neat.

Reactions: Mjmsi and mrjp
with the JScan app you can pull the codes and see if anything is amiss. That is how I found my fuel injector issue - and an ignition issue, but the tune up fixed that. But really, it might be a case of really needing to change your plugs (and gap them correctly). I used Bosch platinum plugs, but that is a whole other internet feud and there are lots of opinions about it here and elsewhere - but new and correctly gapped is better than what you have.

I would also add that you should not simply enter the factory dimension of the tire (35" or whatever). Your tire temps will be higher on the road than sitting in your driveway and will therefore have a taller dimension than cold. They're 35" when they're fully aired and not supporting a Jeep, like the spare tire.

1. Adjust your tire pressure to where you normally run them.
2. Make sure the tires are at road temps.
3. Measure the height of the tire from the pavement to the top of the tire.
4. Measure all 4 tires as #3 above.
5. Average the height to the nearest 1/2" and use this number.

Here's a hint: if you're running 35s, for example, and you prefer them at about 30psi, they're an MT tread and are a few years old, I can almost guarantee you the actual tire height is closer to 32.5" than 35".

Hey guys, any recommendations or input whether it’s worth adding a throttle response controller to my wrangler 2007 ? Essentially I want to get better gas mileage since it’s my daily but also for longer trips. Thank you guys in advance .

i was exactly where you are now! I did the research and the options are unlimited. I purchased the Pulsar/Flascal combo from QuadraTech. Around $600. The pulsar is actually too easy to install!!! Half hour and that includes reading the directions and drinking a beer. It has 4 modes Performance Pulling Eco and Stock.
first time I took it out in performance and gave it gas my head hit the head rest! Never had that happen before!
I have recommend to several others and they love it also.
best part you can remove it in about 10 minutes but you won’t! It was exactly what I was looking for.
Good Luck!

Reactions: Mjmsi

there are plug and play throttle peddle add on's out there. how well they work ? remember its only a 6cyl. good tune up will help.