Aftermarket Stereo Replacement Help & Recommendations? (Amazon?)

Jc131620

I'm not sure if this is this is the right spot to post this but hoping I can get some help/advice...

I have a 2016 Wrangler JK with the most basic factory radio (no touch screen) and it recently started acting up and now it's to the point it cuts out all sound about every other 2 seconds then back in for 2 seconds. So my first question is if anyone has heard of this happening before and if so is there a possible fix?

Second question, assuming I need to replace the stereo can I get some recommendations for a relatively cheap and pretty easy to install (plug and play) setup? Looking on Amazon I see a ton of options but wasn't sure if they are true plug and play? Also wasn't sure about how a replacement would effect the steering controls?

I have my top down a lot in the summer and, while I try my best to avoid it, it sometimes gets rained on which is why I don't want to spend too much on a replacement. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: AmyLee
I'm not sure if this is this is the right spot to post this but hoping I can get some help/advice...

I have a 2016 Wrangler JK with the most basic factory radio (no touch screen) and it recently started acting up and now it's to the point it cuts out all sound about every other 2 seconds then back in for 2 seconds. So my first question is if anyone has heard of this happening before and if so is there a possible fix?

Second question, assuming I need to replace the stereo can I get some recommendations for a relatively cheap and pretty easy to install (plug and play) setup? Looking on Amazon I see a ton of options but wasn't sure if they are true plug and play? Also wasn't sure about how a replacement would effect the steering controls?

I have my top down a lot in the summer and, while I try my best to avoid it, it sometimes gets rained on which is why I don't want to spend too much on a replacement. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

The alpine ilx-w650 is a good unit that's fairly cheap for what it does.

You'll need some additional stuff to get an aftermarket unit to work/communicate with the CAN bus, the little mounting tabs, etc. The steering control box is optional I think if you don't want to spend more for that.

The earlier Crutchfield suggestion is the go-to resource as it should list everything you'd need.

EDIT: Just looked at prices. Think I paid $300 for mine a few years ago and now it's over $400. Everything really does cost more now.

The alpine ilx-w650 is a good unit that's fairly cheap for what it does.

You'll need some additional stuff to get an aftermarket unit to work/communicate with the CAN bus, the little mounting tabs, etc. The steering control box is optional I think if you don't want to spend more for that.

The earlier Crutchfield suggestion is the go-to resource as it should list everything you'd need.

EDIT: Just looked at prices. Think I paid $300 for mine a few years ago and now it's over $400. Everything really does cost more now.
Stereo's have been shooting up for the past four years or so. Very annoying.

Reactions: Vman
This might help for protection

Reactions: Vman and mrjp
Yes, go to Crutchfield.com
You can call or chat and they will help you with everything and the best part of buying from them is you get everything you need including custom installation instructions. If really concerned about rain then get a marine radio.

Reactions: Vman and mrjp