After Lift, Loose Steering

chass

Help Please! I am a newer Jeep owner.. I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler JK. I just got her back from a 4 inch lift and added 35 inch tires. I had alignment done yesterday and I will say I miss the steering to my stock jeep!! I am all over the road and I hate it. Is it possible to get the steering back to where it was? Obviously I knew she would drive more rough and different but this steering is out of control, I feel like I'm going everywhere. Suggestions please..

Did you have new adjustable control arms installed with the lift? You really change the geometry when you get up to 4 inches... which if all the parts aren't upgraded leads to some squirrely steering issues.

Link the lift kit you had put on if you would, and we can take a closer look at what's up.

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
You also need adjustable track bars so the axles can be centered under the Jeep. Also not just any ole Alignment shop can do a alignment on a 4" lifted vehicle.

What size tires do you have on the Jeep?

Did you have new adjustable control arms installed with the lift? You really change the geometry when you get up to 4 inches... which if all the parts aren't upgraded leads to some squirrely steering issues.

Link the lift kit you had put on if you would, and we can take a closer look at what's up.
I'm new at this forum stuff, bare with me lol. I had a new trac bar and tie rods put on but that was it. The lift I got was the rough country 4in lift kit.

Reactions: mrjp
Also post your alignment readings
Let me find out from shop, all they gave me was my receipt lol
You also need adjustable track bars so the axles can be centered under the Jeep. Also not just any ole Alignment shop can do a alignment on a 4" lifted vehicle.

What size tires do you have on the Jeep?
I did have a new trac bar and tie rod ends put on. I put 35s on it

B78B4E9C-2316-4D9B-A199-088D7E197D67.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
There are a number of different 4 inch kits from Rough Country and not all of them come with all the parts needed, namely new trackbars and control arms.

Track bars hold the axle in the middle of the vehicle from left to right, while the control arms hold them in a front to back, but also at the correct angle with respect to the drive shafts and steering components. If these are too short the axle sits at the wrong angle causing excessive stress on the drive shaft linkages, as well as putting the wrong stress on steering components, making the vehicle drive a bit squirrely.

These don't necessarily need to be adjustable (it's a good idea though), but they do need to be the correct length for the lift. I see some of the Rough Country kits come with new ones and some don't. Do you know which exact kit you got?

I like those wheels on the black jeep btw, that opens possibilities if I ever get a black one, which are generally too boring for me.

Last edited:
The good thing about having the adjustable track bars is that after the springs have settled which they will over time you can readjust them to get the axles back in the center.

I agree there are some real cheap lift kits out there and others have found out that after having them installed.

Reactions: Daddyo2373