AEV High Steer Kit Life

Majdd2008

I have a 2012 AEV JK350, purchased new in FEB 2013. Today I am around 85,000 miles. I've replaced the AEV Shocks once (recall for surface rust) around 34,000 miles. I am still running the original High Steer Kit. Anyone else with experience having it last longer? Leaning towards replacing it this year, but at 85,000 miles and I've never had death.....nope not going to finish that statement!

Reactions: DesertHound2012
I don't have the high steer kit. My experience is that a steering stabilizer can mask some, I stress SOME, DW issues and it can cause DW if it binds during compression, but if the steering system is otherwise up tight & outta sight, a weak or ineffective damper won't "feel" much different. YMMV.

I replace them when I replace shocks if I haven't had an issue before. Look at it as preventative maintenance.

And as a new member you are at risk of committing a cardinal sin by not posting a pic of your Jeep. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the high steer kit. My experience is that a steering stabilizer can mask some, I stress SOME, DW issues and it can cause DW if it binds during compression, but if the steering system is otherwise up tight & outta sight, a weak or ineffective damper won't "feel" much different. YMMV.

I replace them when I replace shocks if I haven't had an issue before. Look at it as preventative maintenance.

And as a new member you are at risk of committing a cardinal sin by not posting a pic of your Jeep. ;)

Welcome to the forum.
JerryD...my profile photo is my JK! I've been in the forum years ago. I tend to delete my profile instead of letting it lay dormant over the years. My love and hate of my 2012 model runs deep. I've never been a fan boy of anyone product.

I go back and forth on early replacing things or replacing after they break. I can honestly say that anything broken on the JK is either my fault (drive shafts, transmission cooler tubes, radiator flushes, perpetual dust from the heater vents) or Jeep's fault (cylinder replacement, oil gasket leaks). I am looking into moving away from the AEV specific Bilstein shocks and figure it is probably time to replace that steering kit....except...again like I said...I don't have the wobble and I'd hate to disrupt that smoothness (well as smooth as I can get with the KM2s at 45,000 miles).

All that said....I will be jumping into V8 swaps soon enough, to be followed up with D45 or D60 axle swaps. But I need deeper pockets first.

I've got a 2012 JK with a long arm kit Rubicon four and a half inch lift somebody told me that I can't run High steer Knuckles unless it's 5 in or more on a lift is anybody know if that's true or can I run them with the four and a half inch 4 4 1/2 in lift I have with my room of card arm long arm kit

Reactions: Dirty Dog
It's pretty difficult to answer a question like that, because there are HUGE variants from one lift to another, and much would depend on what else you've modified.

Reactions: Duster and Speartip
I have a 2012 AEV JK350, purchased new in FEB 2013. Today I am around 85,000 miles. I've replaced the AEV Shocks once (recall for surface rust) around 34,000 miles. I am still running the original High Steer Kit. Anyone else with experience having it last longer? Leaning towards replacing it this year, but at 85,000 miles and I've never had death.....nope not going to finish that statement!
What size lift do you have on yours